whilst I am on the wheel thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ranger

I am sure this is going to land me in trouble with Mickle again but here goes.

Since I fitted Marathon Plus tyres 3 years ago, I have never had the need to take the tyre off (I am not saying why anyone should need to take the tyre off;)) and I was thinking last night should I replace the inner tubes as they are over 3 years old. Do they rot or degrade in any way or should I not worry about it

No trouble Compadre. Leave 'em be for now and replace them when you buy new tyres. I'm a little surprised that in three years you havent even removed your tubes just for the fun of it. Its something that we proper cyclists do at least once a month when theres nothing on the telly.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
if you are lucky enough not to have a visit from the p******e fairies I wouldn't replace the tubes for the fun of it. As long as they stay pumped up for a reasonable time leave them alone.

OP
OP
R

Ranger

Marathon Plus and slime tyre liners make a wonderful combination, apparently they are make you slower. Not as slow as stopping to repair a puncture though:biggrin:

Found a massive gash in them today, big enough to expose the blue rubber stuff inside for about 10mm. Time to replace them I suppose

Smokin Joe said:
No punctures in three years?

You bastard.

+3 :evil::tongue::tongue:

OP
OP
R

Ranger

OK maybe I deserve the abuse, but to make you feel better my last puncture was a double.

Rode over some barbed wire (don't ask), stopped repaired front tyre, jumped back on, hmmm feels funny, get off, repair rear, go to work.

But I do get a smug feeling saying I haven't had a puncture for 3 years:thumbsup:. Mind you still carry 2xspare tubes, repair kit, 3xmetal tyre levers (MP's for you) and pump every day:wacko: That's what starting commuting with the wrong kit and getting 4 punctures a day does for youxx(

freakhatz

Yup, tubes can 'perish' and it's a right sod separating them from the tyre. The last thing you'd want is a sudden failure in the wheel department, trust me. Check 'em out soon is my advice.

andygates

Voice of dissent: You carry a spare, don't you? Well, keep riding and carrying it. Don't fix what ain't broke, there's no merit in it.

freakhatz said:
Yup, tubes can 'perish' and it's a right sod separating them from the tyre. The last thing you'd want is a sudden failure in the wheel department, trust me. Check 'em out soon is my advice.

Talc em before they go in and they'll never stick.

freakhatz

Arrrhhhh, don't be saying Oi didn't waaaarn 'ee:thumbsup:

Of course Mickle and Andygates are both right, except that if someone else fitted the tyres, they may not have used the vital talc, and if you don't do preventative maintenance, odds are that the puncture you expect never to get will bite you on the bum on a cold wet dark winters night beside a stream of traffic. 's life:sad:

Top Bottom