Whirring noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I thought it was coming from the bottom bracket but that may be just vibration from the rear wheel.
It's intermittent but more frequent once it has started. I wondered if it was the freewheel but I can't replicate it on the bike stand.
Yesterday it happened while freewheeling down hill and didn't occur again while doing 10 miles on a track. If I put the slightest pressure down on the cranks it stops it temporarily.
The sound is similar to a playing card flicking the spokes.

jack smith

Veteran
Its you slicing through the wind! ...no but seriosuly can you expalin the noise abit more?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's difficult to explain noises innit!
It's a whirring, churring loud growl. A piece of hard plastic being flicked by the spokes at high speed is the nearest I can get!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Could it be the excess wire on the front derailleur touching the tyre when you drop down to the little ring ?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've been googling and found this link to 'mavic growl' !

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/freehub-problem-820488.html

Yup you have a case of Mavic growl. I service my rear freehub around 2-3 times per year. Search youtube for something like "servicing mavic freehub" and you should be able to find someone giving you instructions. You need a light 10 wt. mineral oil. Mavic sells it or I found the Zoom Spout blower motor oil (plumbing / HVAC supply) works well and is about the same weight. A mechanic should not charge much to do this either. It doesn't take long. Good luck.

It really is quite simple, I take the cassette off to keep things clean then unscrew the axle and the freehub is in your hands. Don't lose the "thrust" washer that goes inside the free hub! Clean all out and then use some of the oils suggested above and put it back together again. There is information and pictures in the Mavic Tech manual 2004 and same manual for 2007. Go to
www.tech-mavic.com
User name: mavic-com Password: dealer

There best parts blow up for the SLR wheels is in the Tech manul for 2009. Hope this helps you some!

It sounds like your cassette needs a tightening. Take the wheel off and beg borrow or steal a torque wrench, 27 mm socket, and a cassette tool. Put the cassette tool into the socket, put that contraption on the torque wrench, and torque the collar up to 40Nm.:okay:

Your energy supplier is having you followed.

Or it's the freehub. Everything else would make a noise when you pedalled.

Sharky

Guru
As post above. Was getting a mavic growl last year when freewheeling fast down hills. Got worse this month and the chain started coming off the front chainring even when I wasn't pedalling. Deduced that the freewheel was sticking, causing the chain to continue rotating until there was enough slack at the top to make it come off the ring.

Bought a new replacement freewheel hub and swapped it and touch wood, problem has gone away.

You probably only need to take it off and re-oil it to stop the growl.

Good luck,
Keith

U

User6179

As above , I had the Mavic freewheel of death noise but was caused by the numpty mechanic( ME) taking the freehub off and not putting it back on correctly ,.

zacklaws

Guru
I got sick of my Mavic Kysyrium last year. The freewheel was constantly needing lubing to stop it growl, Made a vow to never buy Mavic again after I have worn out what I have now.

U

User6179

I got sick of my Mavic Kysyrium last year. The freewheel was constantly needing lubing to stop it growl, Made a vow to never buy Mavic again after I have worn out what I have now.

How old was the freehub ?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've dismantled the freehub and cleaned and lubed it. There was nothing obviously wrong that I could see but time and a proper road test will tell if I've cured it.

Top Bottom