Whisky - Cold weather companion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Legendary Member
Location
East Sussex
No, Highland Park is its own self. You're thinking of Highland Earl I think. It's not meant to be too bad.

As for me, firm favourite is Highland park, pineapple, honey, hint of smoke. And yes, just a splash of water to release the flavour.


If you like the smoky flavour, Bruichladdich Peat is a belter. Not aged or anything, but so smoky it's like licking a burning log. Had a session on it once and next morning my pee smelt of smoke.
Highland Park is from Orkney. A very nice drop it is, too
 

nappadang

Guru
Location
Gateshead
Whisky is a very personal thing. Obviously there is good and poor whisky on the market but some people will prefer a cheap blend to a quality single malt (god knows how).
As far as my personal Islay preferences go, Bunnahabhain do an outstanding 18 year old for about £65. Supermarket wise, I'd plumb for either Ardbeg 10 year old (£45ish) or Lagavulin 16 y/o (£40ish).
My favourite supermarket whisky is a Speyside, 10 y/o The Macallan Sherry oak.
 

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Location
Thumberland
As for me, firm favourite is Highland park, pineapple, honey, hint of smoke. And yes, just a splash of water to release the flavour.
I prefer my whisky to taste of whisky :smile: (but I do 'get' the 'smoke' thing) :thumbsup:

Twenty thousand year old ice is special. Otherwise yes, any ice formed after the Pleistocene has no business in a single malt scotch...
Why would you put plasticine in a ...oh, I geddit :hello:
 

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Location
Hertfordshire
Douglas Laing do some wonderful independent bottlings. Their Old Particular range offer some great whiskies. I bought a bottle of Old Particular Bowmore 17 year and it is an outstanding dram.
I got hold of a bottle of Japanese whisky recently, a NAS Hakushu single malt matured in a sherry cask. Almost red in colour and oh so sweet, the finish just goes on and on.
 

subaqua

What’s the point
Location
Leytonstone
They're not great company.
Ooh I dunno.

Gets the BBQ going nicely
 

subaqua

What’s the point
Location
Leytonstone
Ice? In a single malt?! Are you completely insane?


GC

what is ice when it has melted ? chilled water. a few drops ( less than 1 part water to 4 parts whisky) and it opens up the flavours and the nose of the whisky properly. every distillery tour I have been on recommends this. even more so with cask strength and above ( 50% above needs it to release)
 

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Location
Scotland
what is ice when it has melted ? chilled water. a few drops ( less than 1 part water to 4 parts whisky) and it opens up the flavours and the nose of the whisky properly. every distillery tour I have been on recommends this. even more so with cask strength and above ( 50% above needs it to release)

I have never heard a distillery tour guide recommend putting ice in whisky, the opposite in fact. Ice will drop the temperature of the whisky too much, suppressing the flavours. A little water, at room temperature, is fine but even then not every whisky will benefit from it.

GC
 
Top Bottom