Whisky Descriptions.....how pretentious

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If anyone’s tempted to visit a distillery (assuming we get a degree of control over this virus), I would recommend Bruichladdich on Islay. Most tour visits culminate in a taste of between two and four drams but at Bruichladdich your visit ends in the shop where you may choose a dram from any bottle priced at or below £200. And you can try as many as you want!

That’s what I call value for money.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I don't think its that nice tbh
I much preferred the older taste but in very small amounts. I still think the taste has changed which is not unusual in the whisky industry as once a label is established it has been know to add just a bit more cheaper stuff to a blend. I know that is a sinle malt but changes can be made in brewing and distilling.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If anyone’s tempted to visit a distillery (assuming we get a degree of control over this virus), I would recommend Bruichladdich on Islay. Most tour visits culminate in a taste of between two and four drams but at Bruichladdich your visit ends in the shop where you may choose a dram from any bottle priced at or below £200. And you can try as many as you want!

That’s what I call value for money.
Most distilleries now probably make more money by charging for tours than from the actual product. In my day I did one tour a day for free and up to about a dozen people as more can be unwieldy to handle. When any of my staff were roped in I impressed on them that they were not just showing people round. They were in show biz and had to make with the funny stories. Even the wee girl in the office did them and she was very good at it.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Now, in part, that is my point.
You said you could "taste grassy tones". When have you ever eaten grass ??
Several times... just to see. I also found out dandelion leaves were OK but the milky sap from the stems was bitter!

Was dragged to The Distillery near Bassenthwaite Lake a few years ago... the owner is a PR magician, if he put his mind to doing something useful he'd be brilliant.

PK99

Legendary Member
and we swapped two free tokens for the next grade token and tried the ardberg £100+ - neither of us liked it one little bit, it was quite unpleasant. Ordinary Ardberg 10 from the supermarket is very nice indeed

I was skiing a few years ago, when I turned up at the hire shop they had run out of Intermediate skis in my length but gave me a free upgrade to brand new expert grade skis - I took them back at the end of the day. They were fantastic skiis but I could not handle them. Similarly, put a beginner on a TDF rider's bike and they will hate it.

We still recall our tour of the Cameron Bridge distillery. To my knowledge it is the only pure grain whisky ie no malt added that you can get.
I think I’ve heard of quite a few single grain whiskies. Traditionally they’ve been used as the base for blends but there’s quite a few being marketed in their own right, some of them are quite high end.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was skiing a few years ago, when I turned up at the hire shop they had run out of Intermediate skis in my length but gave me a free upgrade to brand new expert grade skis - I took them back at the end of the day. They were fantastic skiis but I could not handle them. Similarly, put a beginner on a TDF rider's bike and they will hate it.

Agree about the TDF bike. You'd have to lower the gearing / fit a triple, add a pannier rack and mudguards, and replace the saddle with a Brooks.

Now that said my professional grade French horn is simply better in every way than my old one and easier to play. And my Festool power tools are better than cheap ones or even sensibly priced trade rated tools

On the Laphroaig / disinfectant thing....
Laphroaig was the only whisky "legally" imported into the US during prohibition - it was labelled as .... you guessed it!..... disinfectant!^_^

There are tonnes of stories about whisk(e)y and lots and lots of history - even about the more unpleasant ones! Sipping and reading - A great way to spend a long, cold, damp winter night!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I can only tell the differeance between cheap rough stuff and nicer stuff, i dont have the desire or budget to explore further :smile:
I used to get ask which was the best whisky. My reply was whichever one you like best.
You have a more common sense attitude towards this than many who get a bit pretentious.

Top Bottom