Whitby to Scarborough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smoggie

Morning all!

I was just reading about the 21 mile cinder track.
Has anybody ridden this route - There then back?
I was wondering if it would be suitable for a Hybrid?

Many thanks!

si_c

Guru
I rode it a few years back Scarborough to Whitby, more than suitable for a hybrid. I did it on a road bike with narrower tyres and it was fine.

There are a couple of unexpected climbs where it rejoins the road briefly but it's largely like any other old rail route and the grades are reasonable.

Tight Git

Veteran
Currently in Robin Hoods Bay and will be walking the cinder track this afternoon! Yes it will be fine on a hybrid and is a nice ride, just be aware that it will have lots of walkers especially during peak holiday season.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have ridden bits. Assuming 37mm wide tyre you'd be fine (many (including me) would do it on road tyres). Advise avoiding weekends or expect/accept congestion around RHB.

Tribansman

Veteran
I did it three years ago and the surface was pretty grim, rutted and full of potholes the blast 6 miles into Scarborough. Beautiful views though and hybrid should be ok if you don't have rock hard tyres and go easy

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I live locally and use it regularly on a hybrid. Most of the route is quite a reasonable surface but there are one or two sections that are a little, rough in places but certainly usable.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I did it three years ago and the surface was pretty grim, rutted and full of potholes the blast 6 miles into Scarborough. Beautiful views though and hybrid should be ok if you don't have rock hard tyres and go easy

Same here.

Other replies indicate the surface might have improved since we did it.

The stretch closer to Scarborough is the worst, and I'd still be wary of attempting it in the winter or after bad weather.

A couple of locals told me there were moves afoot to improve that bit, but those moves had been going on for years with little actually being done.

Perhaps it finally happened.

T4tomo

Guru
recent eyewitness report from a friend said Ravenscar - RHB was pretty rough, but no issues on a gravel bike.

Tribansman

Veteran
Me too, I emailed my local highways team to ask them to specify on their 'road closed' signs whether they were impassable or accessible to walkers and riders. Never got a response :cursing:

Top Bottom