White van driver knocks cyclist off, blames cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Quite rightly so. The van driver was already committed to, and well established in overtaking illegally double parked vehicles. Ploughing blithely headlong towards not one but two vehicles in that scenario was ridiculous.

That said, the van drivers attitude stinks. Even if its not your fault you show a bit of concern for a more vulnerable road user following a collison

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Quite rightly so. The van driver was already committed to, and well established in overtaking illegally double parked vehicles. Ploughing blithely headlong towards not one but two vehicles in that scenario was ridiculous.

That said, the van drivers attitude stinks. Even if its not your fault you show a bit of concern for a more vulnerable road user following a collison
Have to say I disagree with you on fault here, I blame the driver (who was overtaking a car positioned to reverse into a space, not illegally double-parked).

He has the greater responsibilty of ensuring he can complete his overtake (using the wrong side of the road) safely and be especially careful of vehicles coming towards him. He blindly followed the first car and hit the cyclist. He also farked off without showing the least concern for the rider and failed to leave his details. I hope he hasn't reported it to the police so he can get nicked for that too.

winjim

Smash the cistern
OK, I've watched seven seconds of that video and my first reaction is that you'd wait, wouldn't you? Continuing to ride straight into oncoming traffic just seems a bit silly. Wait to let people through, cheery exchange of waves, carry on with your journey. Give and take, on bike same as in car.

Right, I suppose I'd better go and watch the aftermath before I comment further...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, I've watched seven seconds of that video and my first reaction is that you'd wait, wouldn't you? Continuing to ride straight into oncoming traffic just seems a bit silly. Wait to let people through, cheery exchange of waves, carry on with your journey. Give and take, on bike same as in car.

Right, I suppose I'd better go and watch the aftermath before I comment further...
I'm with you all the way on this. I have watched this with the sound off and there is no doubt that this is just pish poor cycling. Any exchanges that follow the collision is just the irrelevant icing on the stupidity cake.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
If the car in front of you overtakes, it must be safe to overtake.

Says almost every driver around here.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Er. No. That was bullying by the motorists, might is right, not give and take. I hope I would've stopped but I would probably have :headshake: at them because the obstruction was on their side, so they really ought to have given way, especially the WVM.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

I agree with you. I would have eased off a fraction and let the danger pass. It is immiterial who had the right of way. I wouldnt plough headlong into a car just because it was my right of way. A nano second of patience and all the crap that followed would have disappeared into thin air.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Watched this a couple of times; the cyclist behaves as I would have done, a dip of the brakes after the first car and proceed assuming the road would be clear especially as there is a car behind the one parking that has stopped to allow said parking to occur. The van comes belting past two cars without a cursory glance for what might be there and at the last minute cuts back onto the correct side of the road, and in the process catches the rider.

Now i'm not saying the cyclist is right to have done this 'dip brakes and proceed' manoeuvre but given the circumstances (parking car and another stopped behind it) and speed I probably would have done the same - it's a split second decision to undertake this kind of riding, especially in an urban setting.

The van driver is the culprit here, plain and simple. Impatiently overtook the two cars and then began a tirade of WVM abuse at the guy. Just terrible behaviour from a supposedly grown man.

Top Bottom