White van trailer man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was very wet this morning (a good test of the waterproof properties of my camera!)

At this roundabout a WVM with a trailer in toe, decides that I'm only a cyclist and so he can ignore me. I am certain he saw me, in my brand new luminous yellow jacket, and my two front lights (one my nice and bright new B&M Ixon IQ).

My brakes were soft but I just managed to kill the speed and swerve a little to avoid him.

TOWV (Twat in a white van)!!:smile:

Bigtallfatbloke

White van man is a self-gratification artist by definition. They are all programmed to seek out and destroy cyclists, it's what they consider to be sport. When I become Primeminister I will have them all put up against the wall and shot. I ride these days as if every car I hear behind me is whitevan man, it's the only way i can survive these peasants.

I see you have got into the habit of being able to remember registration numbers. I do the same these days.

Wobbles

What a pillock! Makes it even crapper and miserable when it's wet.......I'm sure they feel they have more right to do irrational things.

Bigtallfatbloke.....I'm a PTWVM(Part time White Van Man)btw............

I love being polite to cyclists just to see the shock on their faces!!:smile:

Cab

I once used the phrase "I'm a cyclist, not a convenient gap in the traffic" to a bloke who did that to me. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Glad you could stop in time, its really so much more dangerous when that happens in the wet.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, just downloading that one now. In general though, I must be an exception, because I think most WVMs are great, much better than the average car driver, more willing to joke with me at the lights, and more willing to share the road.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I see you have got into the habit of being able to remember registration numbers. I do the same these days.

I don't actually need to remember it. I say it out load so that the camera picks it up (when its dark and wet there is a chance that the camera would miss it). Unfortunately there was no company logo on it so no one to complain to and it is not worth complaining to the police about.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Most of them are probably self employed anyway so complaining to the company wouldn't achieve much.

On my ride home tonight I was surprised to get a WVM give way for me. Thought I was seeing things at first :smile:

Gandalf

Veteran
As a WVM myself I suppose I should take exception to your sweeping generalisation, but on balance and based on experience I can't bring myself to. Most of them should be blasted off the planet to save a burial space.

Bigtallfatbloke

This is what my mate in Vancouver had to say about this type of thing:

I think I see the problem. From the footage I can see that on that particular day, for whatever the reason, maybe the rain, everyone was driving on the wrong side of the road.

Seriously though.

Man ... I would not dare ride in traffic like that over here. In Vancouver, the culprits of bike dangers are many: 30-something Chinese moms in a Mercedes talking on the cellphone, speeding to get her very important child to piano lessons or advanced math for 5 year olds. They see you, look at you like you are scum and drive right in front of you anyway. This is not me being racist, this is me being nearly run over by at least 6 of these ladies every day.

Then there are the white-trash-with new money Cadillac drivers, peanuts everyone. No, not the old 1950's or 1960's Caddy drivers ... those are funky, hip, slow driving and courteous. Any new owner of a Cadillac is just a selfish white peanut, usually male but sometimes some daft older white lady that used to sell Avon products or Mary Kay. They do acknowledge that everyone is looking at them, because they are driving a Caddy. But that just means you are expected to get out of their way.

Then there are the squads of white middle-class soccer moms ( MIWNLFBWRTCAISP* ) screaming around in mini-vans, delivering their very important children to ballet, football, yoga, school, soccer.

Another huge danger around Vancouver are the hundreds of East-Indian dump truck drivers, usually driving dump-trucks-with-trailer-dump-trucks around all the city streets at highway speeds. These bastards are so cheap they only ever splurge on repairing one brake (out of 6) every year. So eventually, within 6 years all the brakes will be fixed. Good comfort if one is coming at you and you're riding your bike.

Being multicultural, Vancouver is also home to young Hong Kong or Persian princes driving around in brand new sporty Nissans or BMWs that daddy bought for them, racing each other and smearing out innocent, hard working blue collar fathers, mothers, sons, daughters.

Did I mention the non-existence of stop signs in Vancouver? They don't exist. People just don't stop at stop signs anymore. They used to slow down, now they just speed through, looking left but failing to look right where cyclists or pedestrians might be.

Pedestrians and cyclists are seen as a nusance around Vancouver. Especially in winter, especially when dark. No matter how many lights.

I mount 4 LED White lights on the front of my bike and 2 LED red flashers on the back. People still fail to see me. Especially mom drivers of any kind. They really see me being on the road on my bike as some sort of challenge to their man-hating stature.

But don't get me started.

Tynan

Veteran
nice and extra points for the trailer, perhaps he read you as holding the line you had earlier?

the camera flare a bit, is that a rain thing or a low light thing?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tynan said:
nice and extra points for the trailer, perhaps he read you as holding the line you had earlier?

the camera flare a bit, is that a rain thing or a low light thing?

I was in the correct lane for the exit I was taking. I'd also indicated (off camera) which I am certain he saw. I think as someone else said elsewhere, he just saw me as a convenient gap in the traffic.

The flare is from the rain on the camera. There was a lot of rain that day!!

Tynan

Veteran
wasn't attacking your riding, just trying to imagine something less dratic than him pulling out on you on purpose

yes, of course it's the rain, sorry, it does look fairly wet

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tynan said:
wasn't attacking your riding, just trying to imagine something less dratic than him pulling out on you on purpose

yes, of course it's the rain, sorry, it does look fairly wet

That's ok Tynan. I didn't really take it as an attack. Just trying to clarify what I did and why.

Even if you were disagreeing with my technique there is nothing wrong with that. We wouldn't learn anything new if we all agreed. :smile:

Tynan

Veteran
s'cool, I saw nothing wrong with that, and I like a critique

hairy roundabout alright

Top Bottom