Whitehill Lane near Caterham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
I know it is steep southbound but I would like to know about the road surface. Comments anyone?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have ridden the lower section a couple of times recently, between Place Farm Rd & Spring Bottom Ln (heading Northbound). I can't remember it being horrendous or anything but then again, none of the roads round there are exactly silky tarmac either. If you're heading South from the top, you will be on the anchors, big time!

Recycle

Über Member
Very steep on the southbound side, especially after you pass Springbottom lane (heading north). Surface is not too bad but not great either, it is ridable. The road width is the real issue because if you are cycling up the hill (heading north up the south slope) you will feel under pressure from cars because there isn't much width for overtaking and you will be going your slowest. If you are heading south down the slope you will be on your brakes most of the time because of the bends and the danger of approaching cars on the narrow road.
I tend to avoid it because I'm surrounded by other safer hills to train on but it is well frequented by cyclists.
After you crest the hill there is a nice gradual slope along Stanstead road where you can get good speeds that aren't too gravity assisted. i.e. you will get good investment from the effort of getting up the hill. There is a speed warning device along that road which you should be able to trigger.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
All the hills in that area are steep and wiggly, not great for going down. The A22 is probably the gentlest slope and the best tarmac, but having cycled that once, I really couldn't recommend it to anyone.

Recycle

Über Member
All the hills in that area are steep and wiggly, not great for going down. The A22 is probably the gentlest slope and the best tarmac, but having cycled that once, I really couldn't recommend it to anyone.
Yes I agree. I'm not sure if the OP's objective is to find a route over the north downs ridge at that specific location or if he wants it for hill training but either way I think that Hilltop lane to the B2031 is a better option as a northbound route because it carries less traffic.

Recycle

Über Member
Hilltop has a B*tch of a right-hand hairpin though. Had the pleasure of riding up it twice, in the past couple of months.
Yes true, but as Gaz mentioned, none of the roads in that area are great . I just think Hilltop lane is the lesser of the evils because it carries less traffic. Whitehill lane is the favourite rat run for the urban traffic traversing the ridge which makes the hill even more difficult than it already is (and it is a leg buster).

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Yes I agree. I'm not sure if the OP's objective is to find a route over the north downs ridge at that specific location or if he wants it for hill training but either way I think that Hilltop lane to the B2031 is a better option as a northbound route because it carries less traffic.
I've done that quite a few times and only seen 2 vehicles on that road. Surface isn't great going south though.

Hilltop has a B*tch of a right-hand hairpin though. Had the pleasure of riding up it twice, in the past couple of months.
Better than going down! I bloody hate it, so step, so rough and a tight turn. I like it as it leads to/from farthing downs, which is a really nice ride on top of one of the valley ridges and you get some nice views.

Longshot

When I did the Moonriders L2B overnight this year we went down Whitehill southbound. It was past mignight and starting to rain. I'd lost touch with my mate with a Magicshine floodlight and hit the downhill sunken lane bit with glasses on but getting wet, a Cat Eye frontlight that was useless and almost slick tyres. That was a brown adrenaline moment, trust me. I'd like to see it in the daylight but I'm not going up Marlpit Lane and Roffes Lane first this time :laugh:

Yep, be careful on it.
Surface can be seriously poor and it has some bad bends.
Vital that you stay on the brakes and don't let the bike pick up much speed as otherwise you may be forced to brake extra hard for an approaching car/a bend and could hit gravel.
I've known it be dug up as well.
No way I'd like to go down it in the dark/poor visibility.
It's better once you get to the bit that goes south over the M25 but you still need to take care there as well.
(edited for appalling typos)

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
'nuff said. Various comments above and recent damp conditions were enough to deter me from breaking new ground today. So I abandoned my plan to ride up Hilltop Lane and down White Hill Lane.

My experience is limited to the Surrey Hills and I suspect that Whitedown, Winterfold, Sheephouse Lanes do not offer such testing terrain. Perhaps those of you who have a little more experience could contribute to a comparative data base so that when we venture outside of our normal areas we are forewarned of issues such as surface and traffic volumes - I was shocked to read that White Hill is a rat run!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Yup as above even more scary when you didn't know it was there and you are guiding your Daughter down it on her first ride on a Boardman with disc brakes. Really glad I rode in front, last time I let her go in front she was up at 25-30mph near Copthorne, nothing prepares you to watch your kids motor on in front when you know there is a motorway bridge coming up with a funneling cross wind, scared the crap out of me so I try and control from the front!

The three times I have been along there, approaching from Farthings I am always surprised by the amount of traffic milling around on Sunday in mostly poor roads and single tracks. Good hill training round there though..

Recycle

Über Member
'I abandoned my plan to ride up Hilltop Lane and down White Hill Lane.
If you want to do it that's the best way but do it in the daytime and and in dry weather. Down Hilltop and up Whitehill is the least safe way of tackling those hills.
My comments on Whitehill being a rat run probably overstates the problem, but it is the obvious short cut over the ridge for locals not wanting to use the A22 or A23. It isn't such an issue if you are going down the hill though because your problem isn't so much holding up cars but keeping your own speed down.

Top Bottom