Whitening clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I read on the internet that lemon juice and bicarb can whiten your clothes. I tried it with my white shirts yesterday (using both lemon juice and some bicarb mixed with the washing powder) but if anything it's made them even more dull and slightly yellow on one of the collars.

Has anyone any tips for whiter whites? I think perhaps a 40 degree wash wasn't hot enough. I might have to try some 3% hydrogen peroxide but I'm worried it might bleach the (non-white) patterns on some shirts?

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D uses Vanish whitener whitey white stuff and reckons its very good. With the state of my Y fronts it needs to be.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We always use non-bio powder on a 30 minute cycle (30 or 40 degrees, can't remember), this saves power and water. But I shall try my whites only in a hotter wash thanks.

I'm being honest with myself when I say I like these shirts and they are certainly not going in the bin without a fight.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
stand outside , they will soon be white .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I heard that the stuff used for nappies, Napisan I think it's called, makes whites whiter than white.
Never tried it myself, but I guess it would need a very hot wash too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The higher the proportion of polyester the duller the shirt will look, no matter how you wash it.

Top Bottom