1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whizzzz whizzzz whizzzz.....

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Crock of Gold, 23 Jan 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Apologies for yet another Thread about RLJs BUT....

Imagine the scene. On the road that goes towards Stockwell Tube, just by Clapham North Tube where the T Junction is. This dry, uncold morning at about 7.45ish. Lights go Red. I stop. Nothing in front, just a car or two behind. Nothing coming from the turning on the right. No pedestrains anywhere as the green man was still red. But I stop. As a CTC member, as somebody who wants the moral high ground when it comes to dangerous drivers and as somebody who does no want to be thought of as another pavement jumping, red-light jumping cyclist.

So I stop.

Whizzz, whizzzzz, whizzzz - three cyclists zoom past. These are cyclists on nice wheels, with all the ubiquitous yellow gear and tights and going it some in Primary and Secondary.

Then whizzz, whizzz - two more shoot past.

Then WHIZZZZZZZ. One more.

Am I the only blinkin' cyclist at the lights? I look behind but see two waiting behind me.

Now I understand fully the debate about cyclists and Red Lights. HOWEVER, how can cyclists upbraid other road users if they just whizzzzz through.

Have to say, I felt like a real donut sitting at the lights. Needless to say, I caught most of the RLJs at the Stockwell Lights, anyway.

What do YOU think?

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

It depends on what is on your iPod at the time.

3. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Should have shouted a loud "Oi"!!!

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Had two kn*b jockies this morning on bikes.

Me waiting behind a bus - narrow lanes, cyclist then nips down the 12" on the inside of the bus (what if it had moved)...he's sat at the lights as I pull up.

Some time later, I pull up behind a cyclist at a set of lights, we pull away, I pass and say good morning. Next set I stop, then off again then stop at next set. Said cyclist now jumps queue and cycles right into the middle of the junction - no cars crossing fortunately.

Why do these idiots do it.

5. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Try not to let it get to you. You might not be present to see it when it happens, but one or more of them will probably come unstuck one day.

6. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

You mean the Emergency services will have to 'unstick' them from the front of a car.

7. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

Don't worry. Carry on holding the moral high ground and hopefully other cyclists and/or motorists won't tar us all with the same brush.

8. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I stop for everything but rlj done by cyclists is invariably safe by the nature of the junctions and it saves shags of time

unfortunate but true, lets not pretend otherwise

9. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Yes. It takes me an hour and ten minutes to commute in. I could do that in an hour if not for the lights. And in 50 minutes if not for the traffic jams. And in 45 if Motspur Park level crossing isn't always down. And 35 if I was fitter. And 30 if I had drop down handles. And 25 if the roads were all straight with no curves. And 20 if I was less scared of speed.;)

10. Not in my experience it isn't...and that's the whole trouble with motorists.

Prepared to take risks to save two minutes.;)

11. Cab

Cab New Member

There is something particilarly shameful about going through a red light that other cyclists are waiting at. Whats going through their mind when they do that?

12. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Last time some did that to me, I gave them a b0ll0cking as I passed him and explained that we aren't going to get respect from other road users until we all follow the rules. He did RLJ me again...

13. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Most likely the same arrogant inflated dreams of self importance that RLJ-ing car drivers have.

Tx