Who’s done a Shirley Valentine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
I’ve got a weekend off coming up, I’ve booked my flights & accommodation...just trying to decide what I want to do. Read...sunbathe...check out the local sight seeing....sleep!

Anyone else been on holiday alone?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Now ya tell me ...

I love my own company as it happens = agro free life..id love to clear off for a week on my todd.

Have a lovely time Be careful x

vickster

Legendary Member
Not holiday per se, but I certainly wouldn't not do it if I wanted to go somewhere. I've done a lot of wandering around cities on my own when living overseas or travelling for work

slowwww

Veteran
Went to Rome on my own a number of years ago. Originally it was a mate going with his girlfriend, but they split up and so he invited me instead, and then he had a last-minute problem at work and so couldn't go.

My then girlfriend couldn't make it but persuaded me to go alone. So glad she did. I had a great time wandering around seeing what I wanted to see, pausing as long as I wanted. I probably ended up covering way more than I would have done with someone else and ate and drank what I wanted, when I wanted.

Also, rather than deeming a person eating or drinking alone as somebody to be viewed with deep suspicion or concern as tends to happen over here, the Italian waiters and general public seemed to think that this was an opportunity for a chat, and I was never short of company.

I'd do it again in a flash, but my wife sees it differently!!

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to visit various european countries for my job. I loved taking a day or so to just walk.
I did Barcelona a few times. On one occasion I calculated I had walked ovet 10 miles in the day.
Visits were mainly cities but some were special..... I spent 8 days all around Israel and again walked a lot (wouldnt do that one today).
@meta lon says.....be careful and enjoy.

Not sure replies so far are addressing the original post, possibly because most/all are from men/concerns that the post may be a cunning trap.

byegad

Legendary Member
I did the D-day beaches of Normandy over three weeks in the 1980s. I had a great time camping and moving on in the car when I was ready. My French came on apace too.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I spent a week alone in Porto Pollensa cycling about 4 years ago. It was the first time I'd gone away without the boss. I enjoyed it, but at first it was odd.

Eating out in the evening was funny. I was receiving plenty of 'looks' from fellow British diners. I could tell that they were trying to work out why I was by myself.

I'm pretty sure that @vickster and @Saluki aren't blokes. :whistle:

As for me I love Touring/Backpacking on me todd.
:smile:
Vickster i know of. Other never been on radar (no offence)

Mostly blokes though.

Still, now praps the orig post, with dots, might be adressed :smile: i may stay tuned.

Ps, i too like bike touring alone. Never had a shirley valentine experience doing it as I recall though. Opps missed possibly.

Lozz360

Veteran
Like others, I haven't ever been on holiday on my own but have traveled quite extensively alone on business. Mostly, I've enjoyed doing my own thing when not working. However, on one occasion, I was in Munich on Valentine's night and despite trying hard, I could not find anywhere to eat in the evening that wasn't decorated for the occasion. Having to sit at a table for two on my own, surrounded by red roses and other Valentine's night paraphernalia with locals glancing at me with looks of pity, is a memory I could do with losing!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I used to travel a lot with work, and most trips involved a day or two to myself, and plenty of solo-sightseeeing: New York, Krakow, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Los Angeles, Budapest Gdansk, all sorts of places. I loved it, and as someone said upthread, you can cover more on your own, not having to negotiate/compromise with anyone else. Eating or having a beer on my tod has never worried me tbh.

Top Bottom