Who Actually Makes Carrera??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are many factories in Taiwan making lots of bikes for hundreds of different brands. Giant are the largest followed by Merida. One years model will often be manufactured by a different factory from the next. Some brands use more than one factory -Kona one year used six different makers for their range - and sometimes as with a particilar Dawes model a couple of years ago production of one bike was split between two factories. I dont know why, probably capacity issues. As has neen alluded to upthread who made your bike is much less important than how well it was assembled.

sabian92

Über Member
I've got a Carrera Virtuoso - apart from the wheels needing a true every few days (irritating but I'm 16st so it's partially my own fault, and they're getting replaced with handbuilts anyway) it's a solid bike. Had to adjust the brakes/gears once, replaced the tyres/tubes (Nothing wrong with Kenda tyres but I didn't want to get stuck commuting with no spare tubes etc so I put my usual Marathon+ on).

Solid bike all in all. Shifts well, reasonably light and I've not had a single problem with it. I suspect this is something to do with the fact I bought it from Halfords and never ever took it back for anything :laugh: and I actually learned it do it myself.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1897363-holy_thread_resurrection.jpg

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Has no-one found the answer in 4 years???

I'm sure that Halfords staff make them. Sometimes I hear the sound of the heavy machinery in my local store, but it might just be the sound of the staff trying to think of sensible things to say to customers.

That actually happens.

festival

Über Member
Sometime in the distant past Merida did make some bikes for halfords.
In recent years all halfords own branded bikes, including the Carrera's come from the likes of Indonesia, Maylasia, Vietnam,and Bangladesh.
I am almost certain nothing has come from Taiwan in the last 10 years. Its possible Merida may have factories in these countries but even the Boardmans they sell do not come from Taiwan.
Ask in store, they usually have the place of manufacture on the box they are delivered in

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've done 1500ish miles on my Carrera Virtuoso road bike, and it's bombproof. The wheels are still true. Compare that with my Revolution bike, which has twice been into the shop to have the rear wheel built in 900 miles.

If you're a keen cyclist on a tight budget then you can't go wrong.

OK there are cons and pros about buying from Halfords but thats been discussed in the other threads!

So who actually makes Carrera and are they any good?

Looking on other forums there are mixed views.....

Halfords?? Carrera?? Strongman?? Meridia?? Raleigh??

The Subway has had a good review at Bikeradar.com but some say the Derraliers and Brakes fail every five minutes.

Anyone have any views on these bikes??

Thanks!

Well they would with the stig riding it.

Top Bottom