Who are we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I've been thinking, whenever 'Cyclists' are mentioned in any media they are always projected as somehow other to regular people. Having been on this great forum for a while there are clearly people from all walks of life and the one thing that ties us all together is a bicycle. Some of us, like Mrs Oldhippy and me it is a form of transport and for others it is a very expensive piece of carbon that is almost art. So why for those who think riding a bike is a sport, weird, a toy or somehow backwards are we singled out I wonder?

I think we are only referred to as cyclists when the context of the article/discussion/incident is bike related. If I was doing the gardening and a tree fell on me it wouldn't be reported as cyclist hurt by falling tree.
If I started a fight with someone who stepped out in front of me on a bike ride I would, correctly at that time, be referred to as a cyclist.

The same applies to motorists, bikers, golfers, runners etc. depending on the context.

We are all guilty of it sometimes, and I have a similar perception that there are regular people and then there are golfers. :whistle:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I think we are only referred to as cyclists when the context of the article/discussion/incident is bike related. If I was doing the gardening and a tree fell on me it wouldn't be reported as cyclist hurt by falling tree.
If I started a fight with someone who stepped out in front of me on a bike ride I would, correctly at that time, be referred to as a cyclist.

The same applies to motorists, bikers, golfers, runners etc. depending on the context.

We are all guilty of it sometimes, and I have a similar perception that there are regular people and then there are golfers. :whistle:

Exactly.

We are all people. ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I don't think there is, at least not in the eyes of the tabloids.
we are all lumped in an easy target group be it wheelie popping yoofs to lycra louts ,it makes it easier for the media and public to alienate us .
Now instead of BLM etc maybe someone should start a all forms of transport matter ? though i doubt it would get much support

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Do folks think that in the eyes of the media there is a difference between, a person on a bicycle and a cyclist.... ????

I don't know about the media, but the general public do differentiate between types of cyclists. For example when I was out in a vehicle at work with a colleague, he was giving a right slagging off to any riders he spotted whose manner of cycling wasn't to his liking. When I commented to him that I'm a cyclist too, he said "you're OK you just ride like a normal person, it's all those idiots with the lycra gear and the bright coloured helmets that I can't stand" So yes, in the eyes of many there is a big difference between someone who "just rides a bike" and a "cyclist"

Johnsco

Old Fettler
My dad was a very serious cyclist .... Time trials .... road races .... touring holidays ...Mostly in the 1930s.
When I got my Carlton in the 1960s, it had toe-clips --- Something new to me.
I wasn't sure I liked them at first.
My dad's never-forgotten words were:
Toe Clips - - - - The difference between a cyclist and a bicycle rider.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My dad was a very serious cyclist .... Time trials .... road races .... touring holidays ...Mostly in the 1930s.
When I got my Carlton in the 1960s, it had toe-clips --- Something new to me.
I wasn't sure I liked them at first.
My dad's never-forgotten words were:
Toe Clips - - - - The difference between a cyclist and a bicycle rider.
I have a yellow dayglo jacket I use for cycling. It has oil stains in various places and I have been chided for its general appearance. My response is that it shows I am a real cyclist.

Top Bottom