Who else is excited about Pluto?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It would take us 100,000 years years at light speed just to cross our own galaxy, (186,000 miles per sec)

Yes I am aware of the speed of light and the size of our galaxy and the vast gulfs between the billions of galaxies in the observable universe.

But my point was...distance is not a problem as to whether or not other 'beings' exist out there. It is merely a problem in terms of us knowing whether they do or not.

It was a tad TIC to be fair.

sight-pin

Veteran
Unless they pop down here soon, i think it'll be many years before we're know the the answer to that:smile:, (know what you mean though). Surely their must be other species somewhere out there, as you know by the amount of billions of other planets / / galaxies etc,
Didn't astronomers and scientist mathematically work out the odds one time?

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Take Io, for example, or Titan. These spherical objects are called 'moons' - but they are truly alive. In fact, in my opinion both are more interesting than the planets they go round. All right, Titan is a moon of Jupiter, the largest object in the solar system outside of the sun - so it easily makes the grade 'planet'. But what is Jupiter? Nothing more than a big ball of swirling gas. Titan, however, has an atmosphere, lakes, seas and mountains. In fact, it's more like Earth than any other object known in the Solar System. And Io orbits Saturn, which is similar to Jupiter except that it's more visually stunning on account of its rings. And how about Europa? This 'moon' is almost certain to have water and could (that's Could with a capital C) have life.

Io is indeed fascinating - I once wrote a thesis on its tidal heating. I think it can be found orbiting Jupiter, though - and Titan Saturn! :okay:

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Surely their must be other species somewhere out there, as you know by the amount of billions of other planets / / galaxies etc,

It always pays to recall photos like this when considering that question.....

Heic1401a-Abell2744-20140107.jpg

Attachments

• Heic1401a-Abell2744-20140107.jpg
    Heic1401a-Abell2744-20140107.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 19

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As you do.

Seriously, you never know what people know until you ask them. I guess you just have to ask them the right question. Now I know who to go to to explain this puzzler:

View attachment 90248

What does Q mean again?

I'm guessing but is Q the "fudge factor" or "magic number" - let's say "tidal heating co-efficient"
The other values look like semi-familiar quantities to me

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am not very excited about Pluto, but I am quite excited about Ceres. It's a dwarf planet hiding in the Asteroid Belt. A good base for an asteroid mining operation, I should think, although the gravity is a little low.

Custom24

Über Member
Didn't astronomers and scientist mathematically work out the odds one time?
You probably mean the Drake equation. It more shows how little we understand the odds than anything else, because many of the factors in it are unknown, and overall it can lead to a universe teeming with intelligent life, or one where we are alone.

Top Bottom