Who gets to go first?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Or cyclist v car - who wins??
Sometimes, like when I'm close to lights or a turn, I don't particularly want to be overtaken. One, because it usually means it'll be a very close pass, and two because I'm stubborn. But who has the "right" to go first?
Today was a classic example, coming downhill, doing 24mph (I know it's slow compared to some but it's fast enough for me) on a country lane, little bit twisty but no actual turns, and approaching a hump backed bridge where the road narrows to a single lane.
A woman has just got in her car (I passed her earlier standing beside it) and clearly wants to pass me, but I didn't want her to. I figured if I upped the pace a bit as I was riding in a primary position, because of the twists in the road, she'd get the message -she didn't. I ended up braking and slowing right down so she could pass. If I hadn't I'd have been squished because there was no way she was giving me room.
Am I too stubborn? Do I need to accept cars have rights too?
As it was she didn't get far because there was a tractor on the road and she had to slam on behind it up the next hill.
At first I thought she was stopping to shout at me for my two fingered salute, and I was worried that I'd get stuck, I'm not very good on a hill start. lol.
Anyway - do we do ourselves any favours asserting our position on the road or is it best to give way and stay alive?!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Neither car or bike automatically has the right to take priority over the other one, and I've often used primary to try to keep myself safer, but one thing to remember is that generally it is better that the unsafe driver is ahead of you than behind:smile: (I reminded myself of that when I let the car that had been trying to pass several time and been prevented by oncoming and parked cars several times).

Though it is worth trying to control the moment of when they pass you.

PpPete

Legendary Member
You have equal rights to the road. You do not have to pull over to let them past..... but it is sometimes more polite / wiser /safer to do so.
Personally I ride a very strong primary in such situations, pulling over as soon it is safe and convenient to so. As a last resort, if car tries to overtake you even though it is not safe, at least you have the maximum amount of room to manoeuvre.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sounds like the women in the car was a complete nobber! If forcing her way past has made you take evasive action to avoid a collision then she is completely in the wrong, even if you were only doing 10mph. Having said that, if you had been holding her up quite some distance, like maybe 1/4 mile, then common sense and decency suggests you should consider pulling over if it is safe to do so and if you feel so inclined.

Bottom line is a motorist should not attempt to overtake another road user unless it is safe to do so, no matter how impatient they are! The overriding concern though is for your own safety and it's no use knowing your rights and having 'priority' if you end up lying injured or dead at the road side. Stay safe, you are right to try and control the situation but don't put yourself at risk :thumbsup:

Top Bottom