who has a helmet cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

That's the first time I've seen that. Never got a chance when it was broadcast. Not so keen on looking up my own nose.

Reactions: gaz

Edge705

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12334486

I'm looking to get one...I'v e enough of being assaulted by drivers...time to get even.

The drift 170 Cameras are good but very bulky so bulky I would not even consider putting it on my helmet and I think if your looking to protect yourself from conflict then eye level camera would be more helpful

Gaz I bought the drift 170 after reading your reviews it came up at the right money but it aint half bulky and and so I guess would be the x170 HD version perhaps you could consider putting this comment on your website as the only place I can see placing it is on the seat post to capture from behind Im looking for a more discreet camera for the helmet I want something that clips at the front with the battery pack at the back but Ive yet to find one. The camera I should point out for me would be solely to offer some strength to a case if I was to be knocked off the bike I rarely experience conflict on my commute and accept drivers make mistakes.

Margy

I want a camera, I'm fed up with chavs trying to push me off my bike. :sad:
My hubby has the drift and uses it for when he's out on his motorbike.

Terry Kay

I got a cheap one from Amazon, about £20? I was surprised how big it was! Certainly wouldnt want something that big (about 3" long, 1.5" dia?) attacked to my helmet should I come off!
Did try attaching it to the frame but the knocks switched it off...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The drift 170 Cameras are good but very bulky so bulky I would not even consider putting it on my helmet and I think if your looking to protect yourself from conflict then eye level camera would be more helpful

Gaz I bought the drift 170 after reading your reviews it came up at the right money but it aint half bulky and and so I guess would be the x170 HD version perhaps you could consider putting this comment on your website as the only place I can see placing it is on the seat post to capture from behind Im looking for a more discreet camera for the helmet I want something that clips at the front with the battery pack at the back but Ive yet to find one. The camera I should point out for me would be solely to offer some strength to a case if I was to be knocked off the bike I rarely experience conflict on my commute and accept drivers make mistakes.
The contour is a very similar size (only a few cm shorter) than the Drift X170. People put GoPros, Contours and the Drift cameras on their helmets without an issue.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Are they both mounted in the same place? It looks like the X170 is a whole load better but it also looks like it is mounted higher.

X170 - hndlebar mounted, ATC5K - fork mounted.
I tried the X170 on the forks; quality was good but the fisheye lens always picked up the front wheel.
ATC5k - handlebar mounted -

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Interesting...

TBH I am getting confused as to which camera will do what i need it to...which is:

1) Easy to operate while riding (with gloves)
2) waterproof/shockproof
3) Decent enough picture and sound to convict a peasant driver if necessary
Easy to wear (I prefer those that attach to th eside of the head/helmet..not keen on the big one on top of helmet
4) Works well in low light conditions
5) Long battery life...2 hour rides etc
6) Easy to transfer video to pc (i'm no rocket scientist)
7) Must allow me to replace battery myself if required
8) Can be fitted to helmet/head/ bars etc...so i can use it even without a hemet
9) Cheap is good, but I don twant to spend out on rubbish...but top of the Hi Def etc isnt a priority

...erm..maybe a dumb question but is there a camera that films the front and rear view atthe same time??

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I invested in a Contour HD last year. Good cam, bit pricey and the laser alignment system make you look like the Borg:smile:.

I got it mainly to make little travelogues and show people that Bristol is great to cycle around, couneracting (hopefully) the bulls**t that comes from our local Daily Mail-owned rag, the Evening Post (they hate cyclists and always refer to the cycling city project in their articles as having 'failed'). I've also caught some chavs riding mopeds along the Railway path, a few near misses and badly parked cars etc. It seems that on Youtube, conflict gets you more views.

I resolved to get a cam back in 2010 when some chav spat a liquid in my face as the car went by.

Jezston

Über Member
Interesting...

TBH I am getting confused as to which camera will do what i need it to...which is:

1) Easy to operate while riding (with gloves)
2) waterproof/shockproof
3) Decent enough picture and sound to convict a peasant driver if necessary
Easy to wear (I prefer those that attach to th eside of the head/helmet..not keen on the big one on top of helmet
4) Works well in low light conditions
5) Long battery life...2 hour rides etc
6) Easy to transfer video to pc (i'm no rocket scientist)
7) Must allow me to replace battery myself if required
8) Can be fitted to helmet/head/ bars etc...so i can use it even without a hemet
9) Cheap is good, but I don twant to spend out on rubbish...but top of the Hi Def etc isnt a priority

ContourHDs often are being sold on Amazon for as little as £130.

They work ok in low light - the problem is that sensors that are better at dealing with low light are then incredibly prone to wobble (see Mr Hippos videos). I don't really know of anything that's good at both - GoPro is better than the Contours, but it's enormous.

ben80south

Über Member
...but to record the pure joy of travelling through the countryside at 10-20mph.

does a camera exist which is compact enough for bike mounting, can record up to say 6 hours of footage which looks good at sizes larger than a postcard (i guess this depends on memorycard size) ... has decent anti shake, night vision, etc.?

I used a GoPro Hero to record my entire trip across the USA. Not as video but as time lapse. Unfortunately the Hero 2 came out in the middle of my trip. It is a much better camera from what I have heard from friends who own both. Shooting one picture every 5 seconds, I'd take about 3000 to 6000 pictures per day (at about 2 MB each for the Hero's 5 MP resolution) -- it'd create about 6-12 GB of pictures a day. That was at the highest resolution. I'd go through about three batteries a day. The battery BacPac can be swapped out without stopping filming. It is easy to modify the skeleton housing for continuous power to the battery BacPac.

Video over a 6 hour day would be a huge file at highest resolution, but maybe with a 32 GB card and reduced resolution it could be done. The Hero 2 can also take time lapse down to half of a second that could provide something near video and consume less memory per minute of video.

I initially mounted the GoPro to my front rack, then moved it to the handlebars, and finally made a custom mount putting the camera above the front of the front rack.
web-day-40-photo-4.jpg

Top Bottom