Who here lives in N.Devon and N. Somerset borders - Tiverton/Barnstable/Taunton Triangle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I live on the Levels, which was a bit stressful when the tide came in during 2013 and I couldn't get out without a boat!

1634280365948.png

But there are some nice places out here, and only just outside your golden triangle. South Petherton is nice enough, with easy access to the A303, Langport and North Curry are nice villages. Otherwise definitely consider the Quantock villages.

vickster

Legendary Member
It is rather over-populated by elderly hippies whose minds have been fried by decades of drugs.
Indeed. I went there in September. Certainly wouldn't want to live there.

We stayed in a village a couple of miles from Crewkerne, maybe further south than wanted, but a very nice part of the world. Wells / surrounds would be a decent choice maybe?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not sure if any of these places could be described as handy for the 'row.
True 'dat. It's ~3.5 hrs c/w 2.5hrs from Deal.
As I usually end-up overnighting at LHR before early flights it's a bit of my time I'm trading for better living elsewhere. Also, whilst the M5/M4 is no saint, it's better than the southern loop of the M25.
Flights can also be taken from Bristol to Dublin (handy for head-office) and then Hubs at Frankfurt and Amsterdam as well as direct to Copenhagen, Budapest, Vienna, Rome, Madrid, Paris and Prague as alternatives to LHR routings. As long as the company doesn't see it as an issue (they don't) it's no biggie.
Deal is a fab town to live, hard to beat in many respects apart from 1 issue...it's bloody miles from the rest of the country and you have to get around the M25. All of our Lure coursing is M4 Corridor, my family is mostly Oxfordshire, we like to travel in the Camper and the world is better when starting West. taking dogs across the channel is now damned expensive (thanks to you know what) so the benefit of Europe on our doorstep is greatly diminished.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Wood's Bar in Dulverton is excellent, as is the cake shop on Northmoor Road.
The chippy is OK as is the deli.
Tantivy's an interesting shop and cafe.
There's a couple of places in Dulverton that would suit us at the moment - but I won't be moving for a year, or two.
Shush will you!
We know Woods well (it's a Whippet thing), food is bloody marvelous and it's becoming very booked-up. We're regulars at the campsite there.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Shush will you!
We know Woods well (it's a Whippet thing), food is bloody marvelous and it's becoming very booked-up. We're regulars at the campsite there.
We normally stop at Wheddon Cross. In fact, we will be there for a few days at the end of next week. A visit to Woods Bar is compulsory!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
True 'dat. It's ~3.5 hrs c/w 2.5hrs from Deal.
As I usually end-up overnighting at LHR before early flights it's a bit of my time I'm trading for better living elsewhere. Also, whilst the M5/M4 is no saint, it's better than the southern loop of the M25.
Flights can also be taken from Bristol to Dublin (handy for head-office) and then Hubs at Frankfurt and Amsterdam as well as direct to Copenhagen, Budapest, Vienna, Rome, Madrid, Paris and Prague as alternatives to LHR routings. As long as the company doesn't see it as an issue (they don't) it's no biggie.
Deal is a fab town to live, hard to beat in many respects apart from 1 issue...it's bloody miles from the rest of the country and you have to get around the M25. All of our Lure coursing is M4 Corridor, my family is mostly Oxfordshire, we like to travel in the Camper and the world is better when starting West. taking dogs across the channel is now damned expensive (thanks to you know what) so the benefit of Europe on our doorstep is greatly diminished.

Blimey, I'm worn out just reading about all those places you go to.

There's commuter traffic from Castle Cary station to Padders, although I'm guessing you'd have to change at Reading for the airport.

Top Bottom