Who is planning what challenge in 2021?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I was pretty pleased with myself the other day. This year I set myself the goal...

"To enjoy my cycling as much as possible"

The other day I heard Tadej Pogacar said that was his goal too. Way to go. My goal is the same as the TdF winner :laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
lands end to john o'groats would be fun (unsupported)
Unsupported ! Doesnt sound fun ! 😔
Actually, unsupported is enormous fun.

I/we (a group of four later middle aged blokes) did Lejog unsupported (i.e, no team vehicle or luggage transfers) and carried all our own gear while staying in pubs, b&b's and cheap hotels. It was a wonderful 11 days in Jun/Jul and I think we didn't really want it to end. If we hadn't had the responsibilities of life calling us back to reality we might have turned around at John O' Groats and headed back to the start.....

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Hope others will chip in with how their dreams/plans worked out.

Have started to think about what I might achieve next year.

1st 100 miler certainly, but it would be good to do something really epic...?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
  • Ride 50 of the top 💯 climbs
  • Ride the Lancashire Cycleway
  • Five day tour with a bunch of pensioners
Well looking back none of those happened for a variety of reasons.

I did though achieve a longheld ambition to ride the Fred Whitton which I completed in 9 hours 8 minutes over 114 miles and 11850 feet.

It's a simply wonderful ride and yes the climbs are hard but that can't take away from how stunningly good the route is. Honister and Hardknott are the beasts the rest are OK.

Trickedem

Guru
I have a few plans:
Number 1 is to finish doing all the Veloviewer tiles in Kent.
Number 2 is to do a short camping tour to see if my kit is up to scratch.
Number 3 is to do a long tour of 2 weeks. Still thinking of ideas, but Dover to Durness is a possible, as is an Irish End to End via Wales.
View attachment 565491
2 or 3 more rides to go and I will have finished Kent.
I never did the camping tour
I did manage a week long tour from Edinburgh to London though.
1635894227368.png

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well looking back none of those happened for a variety of reasons.

There's always next year :okay:
I didn't really have any plans/targets for this year, but I did complete 2 routes that I planned a good few years ago.
The first was a 250 mile ride, I'd never even done 200 miles in one day, so 250 was a bit daunting, but my dad was diagnosed with Prostate cancer earlier this year & I felt pretty helpless, so I did the 250 miles for PC charity & raised over £1k
The second ride I originally planned around 6 years ago, but never had the nerve to tackle it. Hornsea (East Yorkshire Coast) to Morecambe (West Coast) following much of the WOTR route, but one day in July this year I decided to have a go, left home around 6am, just me & the bike, knowing I had to be in Morecambe before 8pm to get the last train home. With hindsig ht, it was far too warm that day & I should have opted for an easier ride, but I made it to Morecambe just after 6pm, so had time for some tea & refreshments before the train home.
This year has also seen me complete 4 rides with more elevation than any I had previously done. The most being on the White Rose sportive, around 120miles & over 12000ft of climbing

So I'm quite happy with how the year has panned out. I may not do quite as many miles as last year, but it's gonna be somewhere near. Looking forward to 2022 & the challenges that brings on the bike ^_^

Top Bottom