Who is responsible for this dangerous cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Looks familiar...
link

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
imagine cycling along at 20mph plus
and someone opens their door
Passing parked cars you should ride outside the 'door zone'
This type of cycle lane strongly suggests you ride in it and advises drivers that this is where they should expect cyclists to be.
I believe (?) its not upto current guidelines. The one in my link is now virtually worn out. I suspect the first may not be on a main road?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
imagine cycling along at 20mph plus
and someone opens their door
Passing parked cars you should ride outside the 'door zone'
This type of cycle lane strongly suggests you ride in it and advises drivers that this is where they should expect cyclists to be.
I believe (?) its not upto current guidelines. The one in my link is now virtually worn out. I suspect the first may not be on a main road?

It's on a pretty busy road, and I think it's less than 5 years old, but I might be wrong.

I want to know whether it's the local council or TfL who are responsible?

Does anyone have a link to guidelines?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
6.4.3 and pic 6.3
Although I'd be on te outside of that lane!

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Surely that's a standard door zone bike lane. Here in the US, if you complain about one, officials respond by saying that they meet national standards, so they are fine. The fact that they kill cyclists is a secondary concern.

Just enjoy the lovely shade of green and feel secure in the knowledge that if you are doored, your death under the wheels of a passing bus will be quick and relatively painless (after all, you could be stabbed and linger for hours - being run over takes a second), and both government and cycle facility activists will feel secure in the knowledge that your death could not have been avoided, except by erasing the bike lane - and no one wants that.

byegad

Legendary Member
Just goes to prove bike lanes are a liability designed to make councils think they are doing something. While really they are {expletive deleted} useless.

What's wrong with leaving the road unpainted so a cyclist won't get it in the neck from a {expletive deleted} stupid motorist who sees the lane as the cyclists only choice no matter how {expletive deleted} dangerous it is for the cyclist to ride in the {expletive deleted} area which is so clearly in the door zone. {Expletive deleted} {expletive deleted} wits!

sidevalve

Über Member
There's one of these door zone bike lanes near me (link below). It's on a descent, so speeds of 30mph are easy. It's goodnight Vienna if someone opens their door on you.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4PRFA_enGB423GB423&q=kenton road newcastle&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=592&wrapid=tlif134316099186010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il
Much as I must agree with the stupid positioning of cycle lanes etc I don't quite get the above, ie If it's possible to do 30 mph then it's ok to do it whatever the hazards ? Consider the danger and react accordingly, if that means slowing down then so it must be, anything else is really the behavior of the stupid chav in his [probably stolen] hot hatch.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Much as I must agree with the stupid positioning of cycle lanes etc I don't quite get the above, ie If it's possible to do 30 mph then it's ok to do it whatever the hazards ? Consider the danger and react accordingly, if that means slowing down then so it must be, anything else is really the behavior of the stupid chav in his [probably stolen] hot hatch.

I do 30mph down there, but I do it in primary. My concern is that less experienced cyclists will use the cycle lane and put themselves at risk.

Top Bottom