Who lost their bike on the M66 today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Amazing, but I know a big guy can fit in a Smart, a fellow from the corporate moving crew and I both fit in one on display at one of the offices, as a lark. Plenty of room for both, and a briefcase. I and he are both about 275 pounds and 6'3". I used to drive a Mitsubishi Lancer, deceptively large inside. Now have a Nissan Murano, a regular Panzerkampfwagen of a car. Just put the bicycles in the back.

Aye laddie, I'm 6'4" about about 270. I fit pretty well, but wouldn't want to be any bigger and still drive one! I actually find the driving position a lot more comfortable than Mrs Ds Kia Sportage, which leaves me with hip pain after too long.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've read somewhere that bikes carried on boots can even improve fuel consumption because they break up the area of low pressure that follows the car and holds it back.

The problem with the strap-on version is that the straps can settle and loosen over time; I was once behind a couple in a brand-new Golf with two brand-new bikes on a boot rack, travelling down a steep Lake District pass. The driver braked hard and the whole lot fell off into the road.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've read somewhere that bikes carried on boots can even improve fuel consumption because they break up the area of low pressure that follows the car and holds it back.
I believe the opposite, when I carry my bike on the towbar of the Rav4 it adversely affects the consumption, but nowhere near as bad as on the roof.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
The scariest bike carrier I've seen advertised was based on suction cups. Similar to those suction cups you get in bathrooms that hold a little mug for toothbrushes and razors. You know ... the ones that spontaneously fall off in the middle of the night.
I think I’ve seen that one. It mounts to the roof, doesn’t it?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've used the traditional fork-mount and rear wheel strap roof-rack mount in the past. Recently I borrowed a towbar mounted carrier. The weight just of the carrier cantilevered on a single potential point-of-failure worried me, but it all stayed together. But mostly, they're inside under a blanket.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm sure I read somewhere that the effect on fuel consumption of putting a bike on the roof is so bad it's cheaper to post the bike to the destination a decent length journey

It is about 5mpg worse than without.

Lozz360

Veteran
[QUOTE="fossyant, post: 5525821, member: 557”]
Road bikes are a doddle to get in a car, much smaller.[/QUOTE]
So true. I can’t understand why gf’s hybrid, size small, has to have front wheel removed to fit in the boot, but my road bike, size XL, fits in without removing anything no problem.

Top Bottom