Who makes their kids earn their pocket money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

and how much do you give???

Just curious as I used to get mine after I earned it. Think it has stood me in good stead.

Yup. No regular weekly chores as such, but my wife came up with the idea of a 'helpful ladder' drawn on a sheet of A4 and stuck to the fridge door. Each ladder has about 8 rungs and every time they do something helpful, over and above the usual daily stuff like setting the dinner table, they get a sticker to get them one rung up. When they get to the top they get some pocket money and they start new ladder.
I am sure some reading this are thinking we are unduly mean or harsh, but how they hell else are they going to learn about earning money?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Mine each have reg chores to do (e.g. hoovering, emptying dishwasher, etc) for which pocket money (allowance to bank account for the older two) is the reward. I had the same when I was a kid (making coal fire up, cleaning rabbit hutch out, walking/feeding the dog) and earned extra cash from paper round (and weekend jobs when I got to 16).

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Browser said:
Yup. No regular weekly chores as such, but my wife came up with the idea of a 'helpful ladder' drawn on a sheet of A4 and stuck to the fridge door. Each ladder has about 8 rungs and every time they do something helpful, over and above the usual daily stuff like setting the dinner table, they get a sticker to get them one rung up. When they get to the top they get some pocket money and they start new ladder.
I am sure some reading this are thinking we are unduly mean or harsh, but how they hell else are they going to learn about earning money?

Good man. We never had anything like that but if you didn't help out around the house you got nothing. I remember trying to call my Dad's bluff once by doing nothing and got none.

Learned a lesson that day I'll tell you. Done things from then on, cut the grass, washed the car, doine the dishes, hoovered, got a paper round as soon as I could. Worked in John Menzies as soon as I could on a Saturday and kept the paper round. Always worked my arse off since as the more you do, the more you earn and can afford the things you want without credit and loans.

If you don't earn it!! don't buy it.

Browser said:

I like this. Leo is too young at the moment, but we'll be keeping this in mind for later.

'Basic pay' requires 'basic work', surely? I don't think money should be handed out for choosing to do nothing helpful. As a child pocket money was earned by washing up, mowing the lawn or cleaning the car. I had to be seen to be giving something back to the family to get it. I think it taught me a lot.

I give our 4year old £2 a week, but every time she is extremely naughty or doesn't help tidy up her toys then some is deducted from next weeks pocket money.

The first two weeks she didn't seem to understand that her behaviour affected the amount she was given, but since then I only need to mention 'naughty' and 'pocket money' in the same sentence to noticeably alter her attitude. She even has started to show some aptitude for maths :ohmy: Her 'magazines' cost £2-3 so she now knows to save some until she has enough to buy one. It has been one of the more interesting things to watch her learning to deal with.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
numbnuts said:
Child slavery comes to mind :ohmy:

Not really, all kids need to realise that you need to do something/work for the money you receive from your parents. I used to go with the milkman ( that sounds wrong) from the age of eleven, that was in 1968 to earn pocket money until i started work proper in 1974 to top up the five bob my mum used to give me for helping out aound the house.

lukesdad said:
£2 a week to a 4 year old..:wacko:.My 5 and 3 year old get nothing.:ohmy: What would they do with it?

I make her buy her own sweets and treats wherever possible, more early life lessons :bravo: She can count and now she is learning to 'take away', mostly from the pocket money experiment, so it has been worth it. It has also reduced the amount of 'can I have that please?' in every shop, as she gets told 'save some pocket money' which saves a lot of ear ache!

Browser said:

Does she do that with your beer money, too?:smile:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
lukesdad said:
£2 a week to a 4 year old..?

I thought that was a bit steep as well

My 3 (12, 10 and 6) get £ 1.00 per year of age per month ie £ 12.00, £10.00 and £6.00 for which they have set jobs to do. Money can, and has been deducted for poor behaviour.

Cubist

Still wavin'
My two 12 yr olds get £5 each as long as their rooms are tidy and they help with clearing away the dishes at teatime etc. A failed bedroom inspection loses an automatic £1, no excuses . If they lose the fiver they can make it up by gardening, dogwalking, car cleaning etc.

Both are taught to save their birthday/Christmas money for expenses, especially around sports, (such as a new skateboard/headset/cycling shoes etc or whatever) Cubette saved hard and bought herself a £400 laptop last Christmas

They can also earn extra by gardening or other chores.

Top Bottom