Who needs carbon frames?

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by gavroche, 31 Jan 2018.

1. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Yep.

Shortandcrisp likes this.
  2. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

There are all types of TT bikes at the opens i attend . Not everyone like carbon and its not in the rules to use it .

raleighnut and screenman like this.
  3. FishFright

FishFright More wheels than sense

Some people just prefer that other people didn't ride carbon bikes because non-reasons I suppose.

Milzy and Cuchilo like this.
  4. CyclingSciency

CyclingSciency New Member

This is the earliest use of helium to inflate bicycle tyres that I’ve heard of. Please could you let me know where you found the info?

5. OP
    OP
    gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

In the book called : " Anquetil alone" by Paul Fournel, page 26.

Aperitif likes this.
  6. frank9755

frank9755 Cyclist

If you put out enough power you could take the record on a Raleigh Chopper!

But the more aerodynamic your setup (90% rider position, 10% bike) then you can go faster with the finite power your legs can produce.

TT times have have come down dramatically in recent years as aeroz have improved and people are getting faster times in their 60s than they were able to in their 20s. It's hard to see the rate of improvement continuing, but we don't know what the future holds.

7. greenmark

greenmark Über Member

Only 6 Kilos?
    Maybe if his bike was weighed down to the current UCI minimum weight he wouldn't have done so well.
    Also, what is the other seven tenths of the bike made out of? Balsa wood?

8. OP
    OP
    gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

If Anquetil was of today's cyclist generation, using today's equipment , he would still be unbeatable on a TT.

9. frank9755

frank9755 Cyclist

Today's drug rules might be a problem though!

raleighnut likes this.
  10. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

My late Uncle, Alan Boden, still holds the local 103 mile Warrington to Shrewsbury and back record, I can't see his record being beaten until the roads are cleared of cars. He then later attained three bronze National TT results in different years.
    Alan Boden Record.png

Last edited: 28 Mar 2018
    Dogtrousers, Ian H, tyred and 2 others like this.
  11. si_c

si_c Über Member

That's a crazy fast time, ~23mph average! I think I'm doing well if I do a 100km in that sort of time!!!

12. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

I’ve seen a few walking up hills with their carbon bikes. What a waste of stiffness, lightness and money.

GuyBoden and raleighnut like this.
  13. gds58

gds58 Über Member

Not really! Which would you rather carry up a hill you couldn't ride up - A nice lightweight carbon bike or a heavy steel or aluminium one!! I would aslo argue that on a heavy bike they'd be walking up a lot more hills!!!

Slick and Milzy like this.
  14. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

Fair point.

15. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

@biggs682 - you need to borrow my aluminium Principia TT bike which now has a disc wheel: I got 25 minutes on a hilly 10 mile TT

Mind you, I'm on the same course next month against my 13yo and I'm expecting him to :cycle: me

raleighnut and biggs682 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice