Who needs carbon frames?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
There are all types of TT bikes at the opens i attend . Not everyone like carbon and its not in the rules to use it .

frank9755

Cyclist
If you put out enough power you could take the record on a Raleigh Chopper!

But the more aerodynamic your setup (90% rider position, 10% bike) then you can go faster with the finite power your legs can produce.

TT times have have come down dramatically in recent years as aeroz have improved and people are getting faster times in their 60s than they were able to in their 20s. It's hard to see the rate of improvement continuing, but we don't know what the future holds.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If Anquetil was of today's cyclist generation, using today's equipment , he would still be unbeatable on a TT.

frank9755

Cyclist
Today's drug rules might be a problem though!

GuyBoden

Guru
My late Uncle, Alan Boden, still holds the local 103 mile Warrington to Shrewsbury and back record, I can't see his record being beaten until the roads are cleared of cars. He then later attained three bronze National TT results in different years.
Alan Boden Record.png

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
My late Uncle, Alan Boden still holds the local 103 mile Warrington to Shrewsbury and back record, I can't see his record being beaten until the roads are cleared of cars. He then later attained three bronze National TT results in different years.
View attachment 401730
That's a crazy fast time, ~23mph average! I think I'm doing well if I do a 100km in that sort of time!!!

gds58

Über Member
I’ve seen a few walking up hills with their carbon bikes. What a waste of stiffness, lightness and money.
Not really! Which would you rather carry up a hill you couldn't ride up - A nice lightweight carbon bike or a heavy steel or aluminium one!! I would aslo argue that on a heavy bike they'd be walking up a lot more hills!!!

Milzy

Guru
Not really! Which would you rather carry up a hill you couldn't ride up - A nice lightweight carbon bike or a heavy steel or aluminium one!! I would aslo argue that on a heavy bike they'd be walking up a lot more hills!!!
Fair point.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Both of my parents competed in time trials in and around Coventry in the late fifties

And even with the advancements in cycling since then i still cant get near to the times they did then ie Mum claims a sub 29 minute 10 mile and dad claims an all time best of just over 26 minutes for same distance

@biggs682 - you need to borrow my aluminium Principia TT bike which now has a disc wheel: I got 25 minutes on a hilly 10 mile TT

Mind you, I'm on the same course next month against my 13yo and I'm expecting him to :cycle: me

Top Bottom