Who owns the down pipe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1. no matter what the right and wrong is - if she has that attitude then it is not worth the fight.

2. While water butts are good environmentally, cost wise they are poor. A full size water butt has about 25p worth of water in it if filled from mains on a meter. You are lucky if you get 4 empties from it per year (as it stops raining when you usually need) so at best you get £1 worth of saving from it.

On the fence. If you moved the boundary then the boundary is where you moved it to. You have lost that bit if she claims it. She is in possession of everything on her side.
It is a real pain having to put up with horrid people.
Wow.... Point 2 really puts it in to perspective... You don't realise how cheap water is (compared to Gas and electric) and a water butt set up would cost at least £25 quid.... so environmentally good, economics wise not so good

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I shall refrain from making 'big butt' jokes, but thought I'd register the fact that it crossed my mind :thumbsup:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
...just fit another down pipe and bung a handful of wet leaves and maybe a squirrel in the existing one
:thumbsup:
Be careful, those squirrels can bite!

Seriously though, if she is a cantankerous old woman now conflict over this could tip her over the edge into a neighbour from hell! Do you really want to risk that!?

Water might be 'cheap', but when we had our annual summer hosepipe ban it wasn't possible to water any plants with a hose or to use the hose to fill a water butt. Well, of course, it was possible - and my neighbour used to creep out and do both under cover of darkness, but everyone knew she was doing it and most people rather despised her for it.
Good point hadn't thought of that, as we've never had a hose pipe ban where we are (Midlands) sorry if that sounds like gloating..... I'm not, I promise:shy:

If you really must have a water butt - then get up to the roof line and slope the guttering on your side towards the open corner of your house and drop a new down pipe. Then your neighbour gets the water from her side of the roof down her pipe and you get the water from your side down yours!

As others have said - is it really worth the hassle as you already have a working drainage system? If it is - then this would be the ideal solution as you're only affecting the guttering on your side of the property.

I'm just gonna sit on the fence on this matter :smile:
I think you'd be better straddling it.

asterix

Comrade Member
On the fence. If you moved the boundary then the boundary is where you moved it to. You have lost that bit if she claims it. She is in possession of everything on her side.
It is a real pain having to put up with horrid people.

How does that work with a hedge?

The house beyond us has put up a leylandii. They planted it as close to their border as they could and it is now 3m high. We kept our fence but no one else did so the hedge has taken over nearly 1m of their garden, for a length of over 50 metres. Apart from our short bit there may be no evidence of where the fences used to be, so could the owners of the hedge claim the land that it has overgrown?

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Could you consider using grey water?

GC
We collect some grey water in the summer, but bathroom and kitchen are at back. Ive also got a water butt from my garage riif at the back. I grow a few salad items at the front garden in the summer, but with a locked gate between front and back it's a bit of a faff going back and forth with watering can.
I have just had the idea of putting another down pipe from the garage at the front though.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
How does that work with a hedge?

The house beyond us has put up a leylandii. They planted it as close to their border as they could and it is now 3m high. We kept our fence but no one else did so the hedge has taken over nearly 1m of their garden, for a length of over 50 metres. Apart from our short bit there may be no evidence of where the fences used to be, so could the owners of the hedge claim the land that it has overgrown?

i believeyou areable to cut backany branches etc that fall within your boundarys (i.e over hanging your fence) in not sure on natural borders though in the respect of overgrown/taken over land.

asterix

Comrade Member
[QUOTE 2996718, member: 9609"], if my neighbours objected i could lop their heads off with a claymore. (and I hasten to add I wouldn't do that as they are very nice people who look after our dog)[/QUOTE]

What if they didn't look after your dog?

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 2996742, member: 9609"]The thing is though my neighbour also has a claymore, so what tends to happen is we both march our own boundaries, claymores glinting in the sunlight, we then agree all is in order and have a wee dramm good guzzle on some decent single malt[/QUOTE]
FTFY

Top Bottom