Who "owns" the roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Part of my commute is along a dual carriageway, 60mph limit. There's a decent enough path along the side, never any pedestrians as it's quite rural. It's a bit overgrown, and most importantly stops for a couple of miles forcing you to mix it with 60 - 80 + mph traffic. There are regularly fatal crashes on there so not a nice place to be.

I know it would be a complete waste of time, but who would i contact about joining the bits up and getting it tidied up? Is it Highways or council?

If it were tidied up it would provide a great link between Stourbridge and Bromsgrove, avoiding the very hilly Clent villages.

As i said, probably a waste of time, but you never know.

dondare

Über Member
Contact the local council, your MP, the CTC and any local cycling group or DA.

Pip

"Who owns the road?"........

Joint ownership by Mercedes and BMW drivers isn't it?! ;-)

Seriously though, the highways department of your local council deals with these things I think.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It'll be the council or if it's a very major road it'll be the Highways Agency. There are other paths like this elsewhere on dual carriageways but I think with the low volume of people using them they're just left to rot and other things - not published on maps etc.

byegad

Legendary Member
A vote for bus drivers here they certainly act as if it's theirs.

domd1979

Veteran
Highways Agency if its a trunk road or the County Council if not. HA are generally a waste of space.

upsidedown said:
I know it would be a complete waste of time, but who would i contact about joining the bits up and getting it tidied up? Is it Highways or council?
QUOTE]

domtyler

Über Member
You might be surprised, if you devote some time to chasing people up you may just get a decent result out of it.

Top Bottom