Who "owns" the roads?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by upsidedown, 30 Jun 2008.

  1. upsidedown

    upsidedown Waiting for the great leap forward

    The middle bit
    Part of my commute is along a dual carriageway, 60mph limit. There's a decent enough path along the side, never any pedestrians as it's quite rural. It's a bit overgrown, and most importantly stops for a couple of miles forcing you to mix it with 60 - 80 + mph traffic. There are regularly fatal crashes on there so not a nice place to be.

    I know it would be a complete waste of time, but who would i contact about joining the bits up and getting it tidied up? Is it Highways or council?

    If it were tidied up it would provide a great link between Stourbridge and Bromsgrove, avoiding the very hilly Clent villages.

    As i said, probably a waste of time, but you never know.
  2. dondare

    dondare Über Member

    Contact the local council, your MP, the CTC and any local cycling group or DA.
  3. dondare

    dondare Über Member

    Oh, and since it's "The Queen's Highway", perhaps you should copy Maj in as well.
  4. Pip

    Pip New Member

    "Who owns the road?"........

    Joint ownership by Mercedes and BMW drivers isn't it?! ;-)

    Seriously though, the highways department of your local council deals with these things I think.
  5. G_MAN

    G_MAN New Member

    Someone better let taxi drivers know then because they seem to think they own the roads.
  6. marinyork

    marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

    It'll be the council or if it's a very major road it'll be the Highways Agency. There are other paths like this elsewhere on dual carriageways but I think with the low volume of people using them they're just left to rot and other things - not published on maps etc.
  7. hackbike 6

    hackbike 6 New Member

    The Mile End Road.
    How rude.:tongue:
  8. Really people, need you ask....... I do!!
  9. byegad

    byegad Guru

    NE England
    A vote for bus drivers here they certainly act as if it's theirs.
  10. domd1979

    domd1979 New Member

    Highways Agency if its a trunk road or the County Council if not. HA are generally a waste of space.

  11. domtyler

    domtyler Über Member

    You might be surprised, if you devote some time to chasing people up you may just get a decent result out of it.
  12. domd1979

    domd1979 New Member

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice