Who rides short distances?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldie But Goodie

I was just wondering who gets all dressed up with the cycle gear to go out for a 10-15 mile ride and who just wants to go a couple of mile to the shops maybe 20-30 minutes there and back.
Ive just had a great little ride through the urban jungle of Bristol 15mins each way and just wondered who thinks to themselves, "Take the bike" before thinking of walking or taking the car?
I am not a tree hugger but just love riding my bike at any given opportunity.
Obviously I do the longer distances as well.

colinr

I rode a mammoth 1.4 miles to work this morning, but I usually walk because it's hardly worth getting the bike out for it. Didn't get dressed up though, SPD shoes and a softshell instead of trainers and a jacket and I'm good to go.

monkeypony

I dont ride to the shops. Mainly because I dont own a bike that I would be happy to leave chained up outside them! I've thought about buying a BSO for just this reason but can't bring myself to do it! (and storage space is at a premium)

I often ride the 1.1 miles to the shop to pick up milk and eggs and other basics. No need for any special bike gear, just grab the back with the lock left in it and go.

Also every now and then I'll take the road bike out for a neighbourhood spin, jeans and t-shirt, no gloves, glasses or lid, just to go ol-skool for an hour.

When I lived in Hereford I used to ride to my loca, which was such a short distance that it took me twice as long to get the bike out and ride as it took to walk.

It was because I liked to sit in the beer garden and look at my bike....

Yes I know.

ohnovino

Large Member
I ride to my local shops all the time, even though they're only a third of a mile away.

I do tend to take the long route back though :thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
I ride for most things if the weather's reasonable.

Don't usually go to the nearest supermarket which is an Asda with zero bike parking. It's 1.3 miles to town where there's a medium sized Sainsburys, and most other supermarkets are under 2 miles, so go to them. It's easier shopping with the bike, the wheels take the weight and the panniers hold a good sized shopping load. Clothing - nothing special for round town, just pop cycle clips on, usually put my helmet on, and if I need a jacket wear my Altura one or a light coloured padded one.

My first choice for shopping is the bike. Walking's too slow and my arms don't like the carrying, and using the car in Taunton is a pain in the posterior.

Going further than round town I use the road bike. Again no special clothing, can't stand lycra so don't wear it, and in summer just put on a T shirt and a pair of sports shorts.

About the only concessions I make to cycle clothing are a bright yellow Altura Jacket or if it's not its sort of weather a Hi Viz refective sash, a helmet, and a pair of Lidl cycling shoes. Oh, and of course a pair of cycle clips and a pair of cycling mittens.

I never use my bike these days, and it's partly because we're a five minute walk from the centre of town. Why would I bother dragging the bike out, finding a lock, changing my shoes, then riding all of half a mile before finding somewhere to lock it, changing my shoes and walking into town? Anything I can't do in town is usually a drive, since I'm normally carrying lots of music stuff.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have double sided pedals on the hybrid if shopping or other short rides I just wear jeans and trainers,if going anyfurther I may or may not put cycling kit on.Its amazing how all the littler journeys add up to a lot of miles over a month.

On the road bike I almost allways wear cycling kit and shoes.

You dont have to be a tree hugger to see the benefit of short journeys around town on a bike.

snorri

Legendary Member
I was just wondering who gets all dressed up with the cycle gear to go out for a 10-15 mile ride
I've just done a 15 mile round trip to the local recycling place and shop, but I just wear the same clothes that I would wear if cycling much further. I dress for the weather rather than for the bicycle, so the only cycle specific clothing is a yellow jacket and trouser clip.

GrasB

Veteran
It's not about the distance it's about the intensity. I'd wear cycling clothing for my 15 commute because it'll be 40min of very high power output. When I was doing much more utility cycling I'd only wear lightly padded shorts/trousers for anything under 15 miles because I'd not be pushing that hard.

Top Bottom