Who rides short distances?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
i often ride the strida intro and around town. it has the advantage of folding up and rolling on its wheels so it comes in the shops with me. 'town' is less than a mile but i like to take the long way home. courier bag does carry duty and i always wear ordinary clothes on the strida.

at this time of year I often ride 20km into work in all the gear in daylight but i'm afraid of the dark so i cycle down the hill to the railway station for the train ride home. 2.4km in my office clothes (+reflectives) and spds

rsb62rsb

Yes, I ride short distances... sometimes literally a few hundred yards up the lane and back... just for the fun of it. If there was a shop nearer I'd go to it more often by bike.

D

Deleted member 1258

If I'm running errands I'll often use my fixed, but I'll ride in ordinary clothes and trainers Riding to and from work, 13 mile round trip I'll do in my work clothes and work boots. I only use cycle gear for club and leisure rides, normally fifty-sixty miles or more.

Roadrunner78

Yep. I ride 1.8 miles to the supermarket for a few little bits. If I'm going solo into the town centre I cycle the 2.3 miles, if not my wife and I walk :ohmy: with daughter in push chair. I cycle to work as well. The car is a big shopping trolley :smile:, or for out of town trips.

I walk, and usually take the little one out.

Other than that, all bikes are clipless so not so easy to just jump on and go - although mtb spd shoes don't take long to shove on - just not the greatest to walk in.

I prefer the walk - cycling even 3/4 mile x2 I tend to go full bore and it hurts!

When I lived in Hereford I used to ride to my loca, which was such a short distance that it took me twice as long to get the bike out and ride as it took to walk.

It was because I liked to sit in the beer garden and look at my bike....

Yes I know.

w00t

And 10001 metres of walking into town to lock it up as you're not allowed to cycle there now!

Would take 4x long to drive though :tongue:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Cycle specific clothing and SPDs for commutes (12 miles one way) and long weekend rides.

Casual clothes and flat pedals for local errands - say 5 miles or less.

But I use my old bike for those so don't mind using a cheap cable lock in public places.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I use my bike (mtb or single speed) to cycle to the swimming pool or round to the local shops, bikes kept in the rear vestibule* so no bother to pick up on the way out. Both have flat pedals so regular shoes and clothes are fine. Both journeys no more than 5 - 10 minues. Why walk when you can ride in style!

*sounds posh eh!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I dont ride to the shops. Mainly because I dont own a bike that I would be happy to leave chained up outside them! I've thought about buying a BSO for just this reason but can't bring myself to do it! (and storage space is at a premium)

Same here ! Although a 70's style 3 speed jobby might be on the cards with a basket up front for good measure !

mightyquin

One of the things I miss not having a bike for (I'm looking for a new bike) is for making those short trips to the shops/pub/etc. I don't usually wear anything specific because I'm cycling, apart from a helmet.

I'm working close to home now so really want to start commuting by bike.

fimm

Veteran
On the Brompton I wear ordinary clothes - a suit if I'm on my way to/from work or I've recently started throwing on a pair of Ron Hills if I'm going somewhere like swimming as that means I don't have to bother about clipping my trouser legs out of the way. Flat pedals and ordinary shoes. Most trips are only a mile or two, but it is quicker than walking.

On my road bike I'll always be doing reasonably long distances with some degree of effort, so that means lycra (or layers at this time of year) and SPDs.

yello

I don't bother getting togged up for utility rides*, I just go in whatever I'm wearing plus SPD shoes.

*going to the local shop, post office, bakers or the docs

Top Bottom