Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No. Used to wear one but have taken it off

• Never got one.

• What is a Livestrong band

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

Disgruntled Goat said:
Can someone tell me what Livestrong is all about and why you wear said band?
Lance Armstrong started it off, they are from his Livestrong foundation see here.
Every band you buy a donation goes to the charity.
Unfortunately crooks, etc, saw these as easy pickings and most you see on the net are counterfeit.

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

Disgruntled Goat said:
Can someone tell me what Livestrong is all about and why you wear said band?

Lance Armstrong brought them out in may 2004 at the cost of $1 they are yellow rubber wrist bands, to raise money for his foundation www.laf.com they were such a sucess that they were selling on e-bay at one time for £10 each!

The reason I ask is because so many wearers don't understand what the Livestrong Foundation is all about. When you ask, the reply is "It's about cancer innit" or "it's to raise awareness about cancer" (Like I'd never heard of cancer before then).

Actually the foundation is set up to support American survivors of cancer.

Worthy I'm sure but why support a charity that you or anyone you know or love will not be able to use (presuming you are not a US National)?

Sorry to sound churlish but wearing a band is not only a very cheap and easy way to make out you are Mother Teresa but wearing a Livestrong Band also supports an exclusively US charity.

Save your pound, ditch your band and actually go out and do some real good by volunteering for a British charity.

And before you ask, yes I do, 16 hours of my time a month, and no band.

Disgruntled Goat said:
The reason I ask is because so many wearers don't understand what the Livestrong Foundation is all about. When you ask, the reply is "It's about cancer innit" or "it's to raise awareness about cancer" (Like I'd never heard of cancer before then).

Worthy I'm sure but why support a charity that you or anyone you know or love will not be able to use (presuming you are not a US National)?

Sorry to sound churlish but wearing a band is not only a very cheap and easy way to make out you are Mother Teresa but wearing a Livestrong Band also supports an exclusively US charity.

Save your pound, ditch your band and actually go out and do some real good by volunteering for a British charity.

Being a good citizen should suffice!

Dayvo;42839][quote=Disgruntled Goat said:

Being a good citizen should suffice![/quote]

All depends on your definition. But don't make out you are a good citizen by wearing £1's worth of plastic tat around your wrist. Do you wear your poppy all year too?

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

Research in the USA is made avaiable world wide so in the long run it benifits everyone.

It focuses attention and funds to get the best results possible in the quickest time.
Surley it's a good thing?

urbanrider

Hi i have recently ordered some bands from his website (still waiting to arrive) the reason i ordered them was not only to support the research but to also..and this is going to sound funny.. help me to stop smoking,to me its a visual aid. I have a postcard of lance at work with the words
" Be Strong and Fight like hell " (sad i know :o) but it does help when I'm feeling stressed from not smoking
At the end of the day, why not use them as a motivational aid :ohmy:

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

urbanrider said:
Hi i have recently ordered some bands from his website (still waiting to arrive) the reason i ordered them was not only to support the research but to also..and this is going to sound funny.. help me to stop smoking,to me its a visual aid. I have a postcard of lance at work with the words
" Be Strong and Fight like hell " (sad i know :o) but it does help when I'm feeling stressed from not smoking
At the end of the day, why not use them as a motivational aid :ohmy:

Good luck!
great idea

buggi

Bird Saviour
i wear mine so that when people ask i can say what it is and then talk non stop about Lance and how he is my hero and i fancy the pants off him. heehee.

Top Bottom