Who the hell camps in England in January?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
1. Sleeping mats are good, so we need to find Pips before we go anywhere again.
A sleeping mat of some sort is essential. Thermarest are the market leaders, but many out there that are good for the price. Remember when camping cold come UP from the ground, not down from the sky

2. Something to sit on is also good.
A rock. A log, a plakie bag, a square of old carrymat. There is always something you can find,

3. It might be worth looking into a gas cooker, or a gas adapter for the trangia.

Trangia's are great, with gas they are even better. Especially in winter

4. A chopping board or something similar would be useful for avoiding having to leave spoons and other cookware in the mud.
There is a multi-purpose Trangia chopping board/pasta strainer/pan lid/snow base. It fits inside the frying pan I have never figured out why they sell it as an 'optional' item. it is not. Get one.

5. Check the ratings of sleeping bags against the weather. Pips was rated for a comfort zone of 13-8 and an extreme of 5. As she gets cold easily anyway she needed something with far more insulation.

They all lie! Get a bag good to down to at least -5 and -15 if you can. If you overheat you can alwys unzip a bit

6. Tin plates would be nice
Trangia again. Use the frying pan as one plate and then buy the smaller steel frying pan it doubles up as a pan lid, a plate, and somewhere to keep a spoon out of the mud. It fits inside the larger frying pan

7. A non-stick frying pan/lid for the trangia would be great for bacon.

Yep. Tip for next time. Don't try cooking bacon (or sausages) in a non teflon pan over a meths flame, it takes waaaaaay to long and makes a mess. Get Gas, get non stick (Durassell or however it is spelt)

8. Don't forget the washing up liquid.

In a very small body shop bottle. In summer this can be refilled for free by when people leave behind their washing up bottles at the camp washing up block

9. Halfords panniers are crap, get something better.
Yep. However I got at least two tours out of mine, so I think you should take them back (then drool over the Ortelieb panniers)

10. The little wind up lantern we got from Blacks for half price at the counter was actually pretty decent.

I use a micro gas lantern. A lot of light just make sure it compatable with the gas for the Trangia so you only take one bottle

11. A decent footprint for the tent would be good for any more damp excursions.

Can be done with builders or agricutural plastic, just ensure you put in the corner peg holes as the foot print must be slightly smaller than the tent, otherwise rain will pool between footprint and groundsheet and the tent will flood.

Well done, don't let it put you off, it's alot more fun between May and September

HelenD123

Legendary Member
To be fully honest, I was surprised that she suggested it at all. Her normal style is meticulous planning, she has to know when we're doing things, how long it will take, exactly what we will need. Contrasted to the "Let's go camping today" I got it was a far cry from normal.
Me, I'm an idiot who will say yes to most things if they sound fun. :biggrin:

Now you've got me thinking. Spandex and I have all the gear. I wonder if he fancies a quick over nighter sometime soon. Unfortunately our stuff is in two different places so we can't be quite as spontaneous but I fancy finding a campsite that's open and heading out to it.

Gotte

Sorry, forgot to add, when using a Trangia, you should add about a 10th water to the meths. This stops sooting. Also, if cold, warm the stove before you put the meths in (armpit, etc) and put it on some foil or a tim lid or something. This makes it bloom quicker.

Top Bottom