Who to believe ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
If you are trying to lose weight by riding 30 mile rides, forget all the cals values and use 'will power'.

PS V for Vengedetta, have you performed a VO2 max test in a climatic chamber?

Unfortunately not I have only had standard tests for cycling and running (I come from a running background) protocols of testing are shown below.

Cycling VO2MAX Protocol
The test will begin with a warm-up on the CompuTrainer. Once the warm-up is complete, a comfortable mask will be placed over your mouth and nose so that information regarding your breathing can be obtained by the metabolic cart. Work on the CompuTrainer will then begin at a low and comfortable wattage, and will increase in wattage at regular intervals. During this time an exercise physiologist will be monitoring the rate in which your body consumes oxygen, as well as your heart rate and rate of perceived exertion (RPE). The level of oxygen consumed will increase as the exercise intensity (wattage on CompuTrainer) increases. After you have reached your peak level of oxygen consumption, a two minute cool-down period will begin to assess how quickly your cardiovascular system recovers.

Treadmill VO2MAX Protocol
The test will begin with a warm-up on the treadmill. Once the warm-up is complete, a comfortable mask will be placed over your mouth and nose so that information regarding your breathing can be obtained by the metabolic cart. The treadmill will then begin moving at a comfortable pace, and will increase in intensity at regular intervals, usually every one to three minutes. During this time an exercise physiologist will be monitoring the rate at which your body consumes oxygen, as well as your heart rate and rate of perceived exertion (RPE). The level of oxygen consumed will increase as the exercise intensity increases. After you have reached your peak level of oxygen consumption, a two minute cool-down period will begin to assess how quickly your cardiovascular system recovers.

Mr Haematocrit

I want to play with a v02 test :biggrin:

Manchester Metropolitan University physiology labs which for some reason are actually near Alsager have MSc student's researching the physiology and performance of athletes and sportsmen.
I know a couple of people who have been tested free of charge as part of research there.... They may be quite interested to test you to understand if your previous size and lifestyle had any impact on your physiology and VO2 Max ..... It could be worth investigating to offer yourself up as a test mule so to speak and you might get a freebee :thumbsup:

Ningishzidda

Unfortunately not I have only had standard tests for cycling and running (I come from a running background) protocols of testing are shown below.

Cycling VO2MAX Protocol
The test will begin with a warm-up on the CompuTrainer. Once the warm-up is complete, a comfortable mask will be placed over your mouth and nose so that information regarding your breathing can be obtained by the metabolic cart. Work on the CompuTrainer will then begin at a low and comfortable wattage, and will increase in wattage at regular intervals. During this time an exercise physiologist will be monitoring the rate in which your body consumes oxygen, as well as your heart rate and rate of perceived exertion (RPE). The level of oxygen consumed will increase as the exercise intensity (wattage on CompuTrainer) increases. After you have reached your peak level of oxygen consumption, a two minute cool-down period will begin to assess how quickly your cardiovascular system recovers.

Treadmill VO2MAX Protocol
The test will begin with a warm-up on the treadmill. Once the warm-up is complete, a comfortable mask will be placed over your mouth and nose so that information regarding your breathing can be obtained by the metabolic cart. The treadmill will then begin moving at a comfortable pace, and will increase in intensity at regular intervals, usually every one to three minutes. During this time an exercise physiologist will be monitoring the rate at which your body consumes oxygen, as well as your heart rate and rate of perceived exertion (RPE). The level of oxygen consumed will increase as the exercise intensity increases. After you have reached your peak level of oxygen consumption, a two minute cool-down period will begin to assess how quickly your cardiovascular system recovers.

Then the answer is "Yes". The test was conducted in a lab.
BTW, the gas trolley will be a Non Dispersant Infra Red CO2 analyser and a NDIR or Paramagnetic O2 analyser. TBH, only the O2 detector is required and I did my testing with a NTK 4 way UEGO sensor in a Stainless Steel tube.
If you punch in the details of C6H12O6, it'll tell you your Air Fuel Ratio ^_^

Measure mass Air flow and a computer will calculate kCals of Carb being burned.
This was years ago and the results were that 25 kCals per mile for a 65 mile Audax was sufficient to complete the course.
No further research has been done since and I'm still riding Audax. Not dead yet :laugh:

Mr Haematocrit

Ahh, yes it was a lab enviroment I was tested in at my local University.. when you said 'climatic chamber' I thought you meant a temperature controlled climatic room with me bein the only person in it, which was not the case.
They also gave me loads of data which looked really impressive... but had to translate the results to fluent 'dipshit' for me :laugh:
damn hard work is my biggest memory of the experiences, when they say they test you to maximum exertion..... near death would be a better description.

Ahh, yes it was a lab enviroment I was tested in at my local University.. when you said 'climatic chamber' I thought you meant a temperature controlled climatic room with me bein the only person in it, which was not the case.
They also gave me loads of data which looked really impressive... but had to translate the results to fluent 'dips***' for me :laugh:
damn hard work is my biggest memory of the experiences, when they say they test you to maximum exertion..... near death would be a better description.
Would you like to share your test results with us V? Are you part superman? :training:

AAhhh thought you wanted big details..... it states my VO2 in this thread earlier... like I said a little bit girls blouse at 69 ml/kg/min
I am interested in any details V.

I don't think that's bad at all. A distance above average in fact. :thumbsup:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Manchester Metropolitan University physiology labs which for some reason are actually near Alsager have MSc student's researching the physiology and performance of athletes and sportsmen.
I know a couple of people who have been tested free of charge as part of research there.... They may be quite interested to test you to understand if your previous size and lifestyle had any impact on your physiology and VO2 Max ..... It could be worth investigating to offer yourself up as a test mule so to speak and you might get a freebee :thumbsup:
got any contacts there? I'd love to have a bash TBH

Top Bottom