who to get onto re: poorly organised gas works?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
The gas main is being dug up in my street in what seems to be a completely haphazard fashion.

For example, they chopped up all the kerbs outside the houses of the neighbours opposite last thing on Friday afternoon (a 20 minute job), put up barriers so that nobody could get in or out of their driveway ... and then buggered off for the bank holiday weekend, only to return to actually dig the holes today, with the result that two people's cars were boxed in all over the bank hol. Needless to say it, but they were absolutely livid when the men returned this morning. Why couldn't they have done the 20 minute job this morning?!?! (That's but one example of what they're like).

Anyway, now they have come to my house (oh God!). I was in the middle of lunch, when a chap thumped on the front door heavily with his fist (never mind using the doorbell). I opened the door still chewing a mouthful, he looked up, scowled, didn't say, "sorry for disturbing you", or anything like that, he just said, "I need to cut your gas off tomorrow morning, when will you be in?".

I then politely asked him what exactly did he mean, I said I'd be perfectly happy to turn it off myself for him, just tell me when and I'll do it. He sighed like I was being a nuisance and said, "Well, we need to turn it off and turn it back on, when will you be in, mush?"

I asked him three times to tell me clearly and concisely exactly when, where and what was going to happen and it transpires that they need access to the property to fiddle with the meter, check the pipework, put various gubbins on various pipes, etc, etc and I will have no gas for a day. This, I can live with, but when I was sent a letter warning me that works would be carried out, it clearly said that access to my property would not be required and that the work would take no more than 2 weeks. Well, here we are 8 weeks later with the gas people wanting to take my kitchen half to bits, with less than 24 hours notice, and visibly annoyed that I'm not going to be in tomorrow!!

I have just checked the letter I was sent and, surprise surprise, no phone number or email address.

I can just see a nightmare in the offing here - my kitchen, in bits for a week and half, no gas, etc, etc.

Worth a phone call to council and not let them into my house until I get confirmation in writing of what exactly it is that they are going to do? What do you think?

Only worth calling the council if you're a council tenant. Otherwise, you're dealing with a foreign-owned company which owns its equipment and is probably using a long line of subcontractors to do the work.

I take it you checked ID and phoned the gas company to make sure that this wasn't a conman trying it on? Could have seen the gas works, put on a hi-vis and be going around asking people when they won't be in.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Deffo a gas works man - I checked id, plus he was covered in mud from a hole I'd just watched him dig! I looked up the company on the letter head, phoned them up. They now say they're "on the case" and I have told them that nobody from the company is setting foot inside my door until I know exactly what they are planning to do (he told me something totally different to the man on the doorstep!).

I've just spoken to a neighbour, apparently they've already had two arguments with the foreman who absolutely doesn't give a sh*t about any inconvenience caused to any of the residents. :sad:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
XmisterIS said:
For example, they chopped up all the kerbs outside the houses of the neighbours opposite last thing on Friday afternoon (a 20 minute job), put up barriers so that nobody could get in or out of their driveway ... and then buggered off for the bank holiday weekend, only to return to actually dig the holes today, with the result that two people's cars were boxed in all over the bank hol. Needless to say it, but they were absolutely livid when the men returned this morning. Why couldn't they have done the 20 minute job this morning?!?! (That's but one example of what they're like).
Really? I think I would have had a different view of whether access was blocked if it was my driveway... and suspect that it most definitely wouldn't be. :sad:;)

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Really? I think I would have had a different view of whether access was blocked if it was my driveway... and suspect that it most definitely wouldn't be. :sad:;)

Quite so! But they'd made a total mess of the whole thing, right from the road, all the way up to the property (ie. the entire dropped kerb). Completely impossible to drive over. If they continue in this vein, I think that I shall organise a collective complaint, from the whole street, direct to the council and the company doing the digging.

It's not the gas works themselves that I object to (they need to be done) - it's the painfully unbelievable level of disorganisation and incompetence that I object to!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm not sure why you think that the council is accountable for the disarray.

If you feel really strongly about the matter you could ask them to permanently remove your gas supply and purchase an electric cooker.

That will show 'em.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

vernon said:
I'm not sure why you think that the council is accountable for the disarray.

If you feel really strongly about the matter you could ask them to permanently remove your gas supply and purchase an electric cooker.

That will show 'em.

Presumably the buck stops with the council? Or if not, to whom or what are the gas people ultimately accountable?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My friend lives next to a building site ... so far her electric been cut several times, and water at least twice - the roads are completely terrible (especially when I visit on the bike!) - they often block the way to her house, everything is covered in mud ... and its noisy.......

I don't think they have changed her gas yet... so she probably has that misery to come.

Top Bottom