Who uses a bell on their commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your sat nav says straight on.

Mine says do as you would be done by.

no satnav that's the joke about the username... I can read a map quite easily and as far as I am concerned, I pay attention, am polite and move over for others and don't mind asking people to move over to allow me through, the same way I don't mind others asking if they can come through. I have no issues with other cyclists passing me, and move over for them as well. regretfully it is the other pedestrains and inexperienced cyclists who are on those routes becuase they are traffic free that are not doing the same, that annoy the hell out of me, which probably explains why I only use those routes when its raining - they tend to have few people on them.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Can we not have the bell threads moved to the same dead zone as helmets and headphones.

Davidsw8

I use the bell sometimes but most pedestrians tend to take it as a 'f you!!' rather than an 'excuse me, I'm here' so I tend to just say 'excuse me' where possible, tends to go down a bit better.

If a ped can actually hear my bell, ie. not wearing headphones, then they seem to be very happy to keep to one side for me to pass. Problem is that about 80% of people on the shared path I use are listening to music and I feel a bit guilty when they jump as I pass :sad: I do wait for a proper safe passing opportunity before anyone starts ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Used my bell this morning. Got a lovely smile and a 'thank you' from the gorgeous looking woman pedestrian I was overtaking on the shared use path just before the office.

Quite made my day.

Top Bottom