Who uses a bell on their commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You jest.

bout which bit? the size of the dog? that he is bigger than a minature shetland pony or that I walk faster... 'shout' is the wrong word mind you... say hello and excuse me politely, but if they are busy in conversation and not paying attention, blocking the route, then sure I will ask if I can came through... this is the dog... http://mypetchat.net/threads/dog-in-disgrace.112/ and that's lying down...

Maz

Guru
I just say "ting ting"...
"...Yes, Mr.Dudwee?"
tumblr_lgpzn8jmXd1qcus10.png

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :laugh:
As you were... :blush:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've had aggressive responses to a bell, to some its a "get out my way" signal. "coming through" is a more neutral warning.
Me too, although, tbh, I've had agressive responses to *anything*. I chatted to one bloke about it, and he said he'd have preferred me to pass him completely silently - sometimes you just can't win, although to my mind, more communication is better than less.

I ding the Crane from a little way away, and use my voice if the way's not clear when I'm close enough to be heard.

Thanking people when they move (as you pass) goes a long way to taking away the "OI, NOBHEAD" meaning that people (presumably equating the bike bell with a car horn) sometimes assign to it.

I no longer commute regularly, but my former commuter has a bell and always has.

No mudguards in any weather, but I do like to have a bell.

As a pedestrian, motorist and cyclist, I find bells on bicycles a good idea.

I may be wrong on this, but I've always had a bell on my bicycle.

I've done 100km off-road enduros with a bell on my HT MTB.

Sara_H

Guru
I find it helpful on shared paths to tinkle my bell from quite a Distance away if I'm coming up behind pedestrians.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
That is based on the driver or rider seeing the pedestrians crossing, I imagine? She only started to cross when I was half way round the corner leaning over and I'll be buggered if I'm going to brake then. I swerved around her and missed her thankfully but if she had been wearing headphones and not heard me scream at her to move she'd have been on the floor.

Well, you're supposed to drive (ride) carefully around the corner, regardless (first part of the rule). If it's a spot where you *know* people chance crossing, you probably should either be further over in the road (so they can step out & you can avoid them) or ride into it slower - I'd not ride into a potential conflict at a speed where I had to lean my bike over, personally.

I don't want to labour the point too much, because there are times you can't do much about it, but it is worth remembering that pedestrians have priority, that they generally get the sh*tty end of the UK's road system (they're treated appallingly by drivers). A little bit of extra consideration from us with that in mind is no bad thing.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a bell on my bike - I never use it, other than to hear the pleasant sound it makes. If I need to get attention then my voice is far easier to use and to alter for different situations. Only last week as a woman pulled away from being parked by a school without looking - a sharp "Excuse Me" shouted loudly managed to stop her with the front of her car about 1 ft in front of me (well that and my brakes and not being in the door zone).

Top Bottom