Who uses a bell on their commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Rarely needed it until I discovered canal commuting about two months ago. Adds about 2½ miles to my journey, but hey, no motor traffic, no traffic lights etc.
Mind you, so many people are plugged into iPods these days, they just don't hear you.

Off topic - the canal route is going to become unusable after about this week, because it's going to get too dark to use safely. I started because post-Olympics the roads have become insane. My perception is that they are now busier than ever - is this others' experience, too, I wonder?
Tbh, I'm dreading having to go back to road commuting again.

I just shout at people if they don't hear me. I do the usual "Excuse me, Please" a few times and if they have headphones in or are ignoring me (Have had it happen!) I raise my voice. I know it looks rude but if they can't hear me what am I supposed to do? Sit there until they notice me?

I had a girl once cross the road as I was turning into the corner (going too quick to stop, if I'd braked i'd have come off and hit her anyway. Didn't think she'd walk without looking which is exactly what she did....) and I screamed at her to stop. She did thankfully because 16st of human and 11kg of bike generally make a mess of a teenage girl who doesn't look. Had a hood up, didn't look. Moron.

I had another pair of school girls walk at me on a shared use path (Narrow enough so I couldn't pass them). They were both plugged into their iPods staring at their phones. I ended up stopping and they walked straight into me as I told them to stop repeatedly. Lights on, hi-viz, the lot.

Bells don't work. Voices work better. :laugh:

I have an airzound for use with cars - NEVER pedestrians

I have a bell which takes up miniscule space which I use on shared use blind corners under an underpass. And also on a cycle path which intersects with a footpath exiting woods at a similar angle on a bend. It's obvious in those "blind" situations that I am on a bike. Not shouting "ting ting" as I may as well be advertising a new chinese takeaway.

If I am not on a corner then a polite "excuse me" request is usually better than a "ding ding" demand to get out of my way

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I have a bell, and use it regularly on the commute to make pedestrians crossing on red aware of my presence (for those with local knowledge, the Bath Street crossing of Buchanan Street is the usual location).

For car-related emergency episodes, I have found a loud scream works quite well, and leaves both hands free to control steering/braking. No need for an airzound.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I had a girl once cross the road as I was turning into the corner (going too quick to stop, if I'd braked i'd have come off and hit her anyway. Didn't think she'd walk without looking which is exactly what she did....) and I screamed at her to stop. She did thankfully because 16st of human and 11kg of bike generally make a mess of a teenage girl who doesn't look. Had a hood up, didn't look. Moron.

a moron may have been involved certainly. :whistle:

Was she crossing a side turning you were turning into? Clearly she wasn't invisible or hidden from you in some way before you started your turn. Why didn't you think she'd cross without looking given pedestrians do it 'all the time'? Why are you going 'too quick to stop?' when cycling in close proximity to other, more vulnerable, road users? Do you always cycle (with an attitude) like a car driver?

joggingbob

I have a bell on my commuter bike. I tend to use the noisy hub as an advanced warning to pedestrians but occasionally use the bell or my voice if this is not effective. If urgent then I use my voice. I always say thank you as I pass, (ok - almost always say thank you). No matter what form of communication / warning I use it never pleases all.
Yesterday I had to shout at a schoolgirl who walked out from behind a parked van - no chance to see her and just shouted to avoid a potential collision whilst I moved away from the nearside. She was very surprised and I felt a tad guilty afterwards but that was preferable for both of us to then colliding.

Crankarm

Guru
Not if they didn't look. No guarantee.

Has worked for me Fossy on several occasions ............ unless they have a see "cyclist" MUST drive at them mentality.

Crankarm

Guru
Fraid I already had a hi-viz top on and a very good powerful flashing front (and rear) light. She was only watching for cars and she looked stunned when she finally saw me And this was around 10:30 am in the morning.

At 10:30am I wouldn't have even had my light on my bike. However she would have got both barrels of my Airzound which always makes them stop / get out the way. I may even get one of those marine fog horns. Bells are a relic from a more gentle era of tweed hats and plus fours that are frankly useless in most modern traffic situations. Ok if you are cycling through a park I s'pose, but not in busy noisy traffic or riding adjacent to it. You also need an Airzound for chavs, students and general idiots who try and block your path or contemplate doing stupid and dangerous things as you ride by.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I find my bell useful on shared paths, but sometimes a "good morning, passing on the left" works well - the "good morning" bit gets their attention then they actually hear the second part.

Besides, cycling up behind young ladies and saying "ding dong" would probably give the wrong impression, (unless that was the impression one intended to give, of course ;) ) .

"Ting ting" might make them think you were on the lookout for Ms Macadangdang & Mr Dudley !

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The Brompton has a 'ping' bell integrated into the derailleur changer. Use it 10-15 times per commute in London traffic, particularly round Malet St, British Museum and later on round the Lincoln's Inn to Carey St area.

Mostly for benefit of dozy pedestrians walking in quieter roads or about to cross without loking properly. Once the bell has got their attention eye contact, a wave across or a few polite words allow passage to be negotiated. Avoids the bit where the suddenly hear or see you close by and start dancing the confused tango when just in front making them difficult to miss. .

At 10:30am I wouldn't have even had my light on my bike. ...

Around here, where I cycle, it is rural and on bright sunny days you are invisible under the trees as you cycle in and out of dense shade, unless you have some form of illumination. A flashing front and rear light helps a little... but not always. As a rule in the UK, I have the rear light on all the time. the batteries are rechargable and if really needed I have a solar panel that will charge them even in winter...

sabian92

Über Member
a moron may have been involved certainly. :whistle:

Was she crossing a side turning you were turning into? Clearly she wasn't invisible or hidden from you in some way before you started your turn. Why didn't you think she'd cross without looking given pedestrians do it 'all the time'? Why are you going 'too quick to stop?' when cycling in close proximity to other, more vulnerable, road users? Do you always cycle (with an attitude) like a car driver?
I saw her but she was walking along the pavement looking like she wasn't going to cross. I started to turn and she just darted across the road.... what am I supposed to do? brake, fall off because the road is greasy and injure myself and her (potentially), and wreck my bike/clothes or just scream at her and avoid her?

http://goo.gl/maps/9jzCC

If you look here the road is obscured by the bridge etc. I was turning when I saw her stepping into the road but she was just where I couldn't see her crossing - the junction to where she was crossing is about 20 feet.

I don't cycle (or drive, for that matter) with any attitude. I do my best to be safe and careful but if some dick walks in front of me with regardless if I'm driving a tonne and a half of car or riding 11kg of bicycle and I can't see them, then how is that my fault?

I'm not the moron here. I refuse to take responsibility because she didn't look. As far as I was concerned she wasn't going to cross - what am I supposed to do? Crawl along at 3mph "just in case?"

:rolleyes:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Crane Bell Suzu. Loud but pleasant tone, and surprisingly penetrating of headphones, ime.

Runcorn, HC 206 might apply;

"Drive (ride) carefully and slowly when... turning into road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning"

Paul Gannon laments that this rule is observed more in the breach in this piece for Camden Cyclists; http://camdencyclists.org.uk/info/tforum/pedestrianpriority (albeit talking about drivers rather than cyclists).

Top Bottom