Who uses a mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brownikl

Having just read 'I'm With Stupid's post concerning safety on his Asian tour I wondered how many of us use a mirror when touring.

For safety reasons and peace of mind I've always rode with one.
Initially I had used the Blackburn bar end type, but when cruising along out of town I found it hindered my comfort as was just slightly in the place where my palm rests, on the top corner of my bars. One advantage of this mirror being it can be mounted either side. (It's shown mounted on the R.H side just for the purpose of this forum post photo)
P1090369.JPG

Wanting to remove this comfort annoyance on this years tour I bought an old school (almost moped?) style mirror. Initially a reluctant change as the mirror has a slightly different concave surface so the reflection was slightly different, but have since come to prefer it now it's mounted out the way from my hands. I fitted two additional washers on the top-nut so it wouldn't chew up the plastic bar-clamp, and enables it to be turned inward slightly if required (when going through occasional doors) or even reducing chances of damage if it gets knocked.
P1090366.JPG

I know many prefer riding with a helmet and - although maybe not true in all circumstances - I feel prevention is better than cure. So who else uses a mirror?

I've tried many different mirrors. STRONGLY believe in them but most are worthless. BEST mirror ever is the Mirrycle!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Agreed, as with bells, they should be fitted on all newly sold bicycles.

If only to contribute to the discarded clutter in the garage.

OP
OP
Yellow7

Yellow7

Über Member
Some interesting replies with reference to vibration issues and over-all level of quality. My original [Blackburn] mirror (pictured first) would never vibrate and would sit well, just occasionally needing to adjust as my palm rested over the velcro strap. The newer mirror (second picture) was an chinese £8.99 pack of two (L / R) and likewise gives no vibration problems whatsoever, and the over-all build quality is surprisingly pretty good, i'd gladly recommend them.

IMO it's just as important as a bell or lights, and with my "prevention is better than cure" philosophy all take priority over a helmet, that - using common sense - I only wear on busy / main roads.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
For some time have used a cheap Cateye road mirror (fits on drop-bar in place of bar-end plug) on my commuter. It's pretty good, nice clear view and doesn't shake around too much.

Like the look of the Zefal spy mirror tho', good tip.

My first mirror was crap, it magnified stuff so if there was a 4x4 a few car lengths back I'd see a shaking image of it's front end filling the entire view. This didn't help much.

Top Bottom