Who Wild Camps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Do both, it's about 50/50. Sometimes, I just want to be within walking distance of a couple of pubs, have a shower, a big meal and hit the town.

Been away this weekend, but was lazy and used the hostels (time was short and wanted to make the best use of the daylight without finding spots and packing unpacking faff).

Magna

I'm a wild camper. Resent paying the fees and love to light a fire at night. Important to find a secluded spot though. Longer trips I need a shower intermittently.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I have done kust two wild camps.

1) On Holkham beach in norfolk ...

29zyn34.jpg

Be careful camping there ... you never know what you might see.:girl:

hubbike

On my lejog tour in march I wild camped mostly which was cheap and cold. I also camped wild with my gfriend in france because she prefers it, but still wants a shower block every few days. I find a good option is to ask a rural pub with a beer garden if it is ok to camp one night. Then you have people to drink beer with, food and can wash your face and brush your teeth in the gents.

in scotland weekends away cycling or hillwalking we always wild camp, and usually in fantastic spots.

I have asked farmers too in the past and they always said yes. One occasion they made me and my mate help with moving some bales of straw, and then the farmer's wife made us a massive cooked breakfast.

In sunny bits of europe I have hitch-hiked with a hammock, when there are no trees (lamp posts, statues, archways etc) I have a bivvy bag, i'm sure this would be good on tour too. If I was somewhere where it rained I got an overnight train, free accomodation, to somewhere where it didn't.

Pongunagu

Rhythm Thief said:
Be careful camping there (Holkham) ... you never know what you might see.:angry:

I walk the dog there regularly, and although I was a bit surprised the first time I found myself among all these naked folk, I was quite impressed by the complete lack of fuss made by the naturists AND the 'normal' people as their paths crossed.

Pongunagu said:
I walk the dog there regularly, and although I was a bit surprised the first time I found myself among all these naked folk, I was quite impressed by the complete lack of fuss made by the naturists AND the 'normal' people as their paths crossed.

yes, I agree. I kept my clothes on (it was cold, otherwise I'd have been tempted to strip off), but I wasn't bothered by the naked people (who had nipples like Scania wheelnuts) and they weren't bothered by me.
I did feel a bit self conscious wandering around with my camera and a 300mm lens though!:angry:

snorri

Legendary Member
I strayed into a naturist area whilst exploring the coastline near Gothenburg, there were no signposts, honest! It just suddenly struck me I was the only one around with clothes on so I just stripped off and kept walking, it was all part of the tour experience.:biggrin::smile:
Back to topic, I got locked out of my campsite one night and wandered into a railway station. The train cleaners allowed me to sleep in one of the trains, does that count as wild camping?

Top Bottom