Who would have been to blame in this case I Wonder ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have just read this before posting and it is long winded........apologies :smile: but it's just to get a CC debate/argument going :smile: :smile:
I was driving along a narrow(ish) lane with no houses**. It was national speed limit (60). In front of me was a car doing normal/sensible speed.
We came to a sharp/blind left bend and on the right (actually on the bend) was an entrance to a large **property in its own walled grounds............the entrance included a wide driveway where people sometimes park while they walk their dog etc.
The driver in front wants to park in this drive so he slows right down before doing a VERY sharp right turn. I assume the road in front must have appeared clear to him as he just went for it.
What he didn't/couldn't see was the car coming the other way.
It was close......the oncoming driver slammed on and fortunately there was no collision.
EXTENUATING CIRCUAMSTANCES.
If the first driver hadn't of turned at that point the next opportunity to turn and come back was approx. 1 mile further on.
The oncoming driver should (probably did) "expect the unexpected" BUT...........in theory driver 1 has a right to do a right turn.........does he????
My feeling................
Driver 1 is in the wrong. If he has to go a further mile, turn around and drive another mile back.........tough s**t.
I wonder what a court would have said.
As I said..........just for debate (not for heated argument)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If he hadn't turned, surely he would just have stopped to wait for the oncoming car to pass? Or are you saying there was no possible way he could have seen the oncoming car until he was actually turning?

And no, no-one has a 'right' to do a right turn if there is traffic coming the other way.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A Google Maps/Streetview reference would be helpful.

Are there any road signs that would have indicated to Driver 2 that he/she was approaching a sharp/blind bend with an entrance that cars could be turning into ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If he hadn't turned, surely he would just have stopped to wait for the oncoming car to pass? Or are you saying there was no possible way he could have seen the oncoming car until he was actually turning?

And no, no-one has a 'right' to do a right turn if there is traffic coming the other way.
It is not possible to see around the corner completely..........so cannot see what may be approaching at 30/40/ mph.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A Google Maps/Streetview reference would be helpful.

Are there any road signs that would have indicated to Driver 2 that he/she was approaching a sharp/blind bend with an entrance that cars could be turning into ?
a) that sounds very technical :eek:. TBH this is a new computer and I haven't worked out how to get google earth on it...........it doesn't seem to want to do it.
b) I really don't know. I am going that way tomorrow and will be sure to check.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Knock for knock type accident about to happen. Driver 1 does 'very sharp right turn' presumably blind. Driver 2 arrives on scene driving faster than he should.
Could be averted by either:
Driver 1 taking a safer route, turning slower, sounding horn or getting passenger to get out and sight around bend; or Driver 2 slowing to a safer speed or sounding horn on approach to blind bend.
Six of one and half a dozen of the other, I reckon.

Conversely if the oncoming driver could not see round the bend he should have slowed down enough so that he could stop safely in the distance he could actually see.
This ^
BUT I find driving on the UK's narrow windy roads (esp those with high hedges / walls) pretty terrifying; mostly because of other drivers who seem to think the national speed limit is safe when you can't see what's around the next bend - or, indeed, where the next driveway/side road is.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It is not possible to see around the corner completely..........so cannot see what may be approaching at 30/40/ mph.
Ah - OK. So the mile up the road to turn that you mentioned was to come back the other way in order to make a safe left turn.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Knock for knock type accident about to happen. Driver 1 does 'very sharp right turn' presumably blind. Driver 2 arrives on scene driving faster than he should.
Could be averted by either:
Driver 1 taking a safer route, turning slower, sounding horn or getting passenger to get out and sight around bend; or Driver 2 slowing to a safer speed or sounding horn on approach to blind bend.
Six of one and half a dozen of the other, I reckon.
I (sort of) agree with you on most points. Driver A seems to have the "right" to do the turn and driver B should drive slowly enough to react to the unexpected (cow on the road??)
Though I do think driver A should have thought "ay up.......this could cause an accident" and just drive on.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
a) that sounds very technical :eek:. TBH this is a new computer and I haven't worked out how to get google earth on it...........it doesn't seem to want to do it.
You don't need Google earth just to give a link to maps. Go to www.Google.co.uk/maps position the map and click where you want to give the reference to, then copy the address bar and paste it here.

Top Bottom