Who'd like try a new electrically assisted recumbent trike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starhawk

If electric assist trike where available when I bought my trike I probably would have got one, as it is I bought an e-bike kit and outfitted my trike with it, best upgrade I have on the trike

irw

Quadricyclist
Which kit did you get starhawk? I'm thinking of doing something with my trike, but not sure which sort of kit would be best- the only one I've got experience of is the one I fitted to my wife's upright, which is front wheel drive.

Edited to add:

Goodness Mickle, just looked on the Como Trikes website...How Much?!! :eek:

I thought the same about the price

You can buy a fully equipped (folding) Gekko with Bionx motor and a holiday for that price

starhawk

Which kit did you get starhawk? I'm thinking of doing something with my trike, but not sure which sort of kit would be best- the only one I've got experience of is the one I fitted to my wife's upright, which is front wheel drive.

There were not much to choose from at the time and I hade only one choice as I wanted to have a store close by (in case of service needed). It was the Ecoride kit, available in either front or rear drive, mine is rear drive as I have a trike

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am not keen on recumbents, they don't look safe on the road to me. Too low and hard to see for motorists. Everyone to his own though.

starhawk

I am not keen on recumbents, they don't look safe on the road to me. Too low and hard to see for motorists. Everyone to his own though.

You obviously haven't ridden one of them, it's astonishing how well the cars both see you and leave you a wide berth in the traffic if on a recumbent. As the cars see the markings on the street why shouldn't they see a recumbent? they are much higher.

gavroche

You obviously haven't ridden one of them, it's astonishing how well the cars both see you and leave you a wide berth in the traffic if on a recumbent. As the cars see the markings on the street why shouldn't they see a recumbent? they are much higher.
Quite right and I don't intend too either but like I said, everyone to his own, it just isn't my idea of cycling, sorry. ;)

I am not keen on uprights...

Two wheels are less stable and the rider likely to have a wheel lose grip, and without a third wheel is going to be under the following traffic

Then there is also so much further to fall increasing injury

Looks extremely dangerous from down here

starhawk

Quite right and I don't intend too either but like I said, everyone to his own, it just isn't my idea of cycling, sorry. ;)

Have run across this notion before "not my idea of cycling" we run on cycle wheels, we have standard cycling equipment that you can find on any upright (upwrong?) bike so in what way is it not cycling?

gavroche

Have run across this notion before "not my idea of cycling" we run on cycle wheels, we have standard cycling equipment that you can find on any upright (upwrong?) bike so in what way is it not cycling?
I did not say it is not cycling, just that it is not for me, I wouldn't not feel comfortable riding one, as I explained in my first post, that's all. :hello:

3 years ago while in Germany I tried out quite a few electric bicycles. Mostly top end ones. I was disappointed with them, perhaps because my fitness is fairly good.
Battery technology needs to evolve a long way before I would recommend them and the price is horrendous.

Top Bottom