Who's done a Sky ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattonsea

Über Member
I have been trying to find a ride for my two boys 8 and 10 to go on which was more of an
event than trogging behind there Dad. So I found the nearest Sky ride and we had a great time .
Age range from 8 to 70, all manner of bikes and ability and really friendly, who else has had a go ?

Did the Bolton one last year out of curiosity but gave it a wide berth this year, and won't bother with it again TBH unless Miss Smoo fancies it next year.

Great for families as you found out, but not enough marshaling of inexperienced riders IMO which meant too many 'cyclists' meandering all over the road making it dangerous for all concerned.

Loads of people loved the Bolton one, but it's just not my cup of tea, horses for courses and all that.

Glad yours went well :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mattonsea

Mattonsea

Über Member
No you are right. It was great for the kids . I did find I became an extra hand with marshalling. It was 21 miles of fairly
easy riding , but I think a Sportive will be next for the cocky little so and so's.

AndyRM

XOXO
I did the Toon one a couple weeks ago. Good fun if you take it for what it is, a leisurely ride. Some twat on an old shopper bike nearly took my mate out with his over eager antics, which was the only negative of the day.

okeydokey79

i havnt done any of the sky ride city rides but have done a couple of the local sky rides with the trailer on the back and daughter(so she gets her free watch and backpack), also i am a sky ride leader and take local rides out in the stafford and newcastle-under-lyme area so im going be biased towards them.

I did the Toon one a couple weeks ago. Good fun if you take it for what it is, a leisurely ride. Some twat on an old shopper bike nearly took my mate out with his over eager antics, which was the only negative of the day.
I did the Newcastle one too with my two kids.
Was mostly very well raised and traffic free... But "not long enough" said my 8-yr old daughter.
Great to see these getting much more prevalent.

I think you are referring to the actual rides they organise rather than the city events? I have done a few skyrides and have differing experiences with them. The first one I went on I got left behind after a cafe stop with 3 other people, one of them a skyride leader, but he did not know the route back so I had to use my Garmin to take us to the next meet up point. The ride was lead at such a slow pace due to the unfit state of the leaders that more than a few of the people participating left the ride at less than half distance.
Despite this I went on another with a skyride leader I ride with occasionally and have done the same ride a few times now. They are generally quite slow as they have to be run to the slowest participant. Talking to the leaders they think that this year the average speed has dropped as more people get into cycling are going on rides they are not really fit enough for.

AndyRM

XOXO
I did the Newcastle one too with my two kids.
Was mostly very well raised and traffic free... But "not long enough" said my 8-yr old daughter.
Great to see these getting much more prevalent.

Superb! We did six laps in the end, and matched our circuits with a pint in the Tyne Bar each time. My mate isn't much of a drinker so was vaguely ruined by the time we made it to the BBQ we had planned for the evening.

@Martin Archer, you could well be right. That being the case the inaugural 'Challenging' ride in Newcastle was good fun. Pace was a bit sedate at first but picked up slightly after the first stop. One chap struggled badly and dropped off (of his own accord) and there were a few others who shouldn't really have attempted such a long distance. The team leaders kept us as close together as possible and were excellent overall. Definitely more of a country side pootle than a challenge for me, but I was happy to push a big gear around and get a bit of a work out that way.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
We did a local one with the kids and it was well organised and the ride leaders were fantastic...we did however end up as the some mothers do ave em contingency!!! Child two had only been riding six weeks and although she was brilliant (the ride leaders couldn't believe she had only been riding such a short time) she was quite slow and the ride took alot longer. Of course it didn't help my hubby got two punctures so everyone had to wait. The leaders had no problem at all and were philosophical and cheery about it. Some of the other members of the group were a bit off though with little snidey comments. All in all was a great day but the next one we were going to had a car park that you paid on leaving and we felt a bit funny about going as thought we might end up with people grumbling about parking costs and didn't want the little one to be put off by it.

garethssmith

I missed the Manchester one last week but plan to do it next year. Like the OP said, something for the kids to enjoy rather than me constantly giving warnings round our local roads ;)

Heard lots of good things about them, except for drivers complaining about road closures

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The city route in Manchester was an anticlimax this time round. Clayton to Chinatown through an even longer meander round the back of Piccadilly station and they seem to have gone out of their way to find more of the worst maintained roads possible to use. I only hope that was a plan to embarrass the Council into fixing the holes and gashes in the surface.
None of the cruising niceness of previous years and other events rolling car free round Albert Square or up Deansgate to Castlefield.
You also need your wits about you for the really little kids and their parents focused solely on them and the planks that belt around thinking it is a time trial who are oblivious to everyone else and their relative speeds & needs.

London seemed to have the more vocal complaints about road closures and TBH most of the non participants on the route are waving and cheering people on. The route in Manchester is pretty well established now, the date advertised well in advance & this year avoided the shopping areas & through routes almost totally. It also stays off the main arteries predominantly & there are easy alternatives that don't inconvenience drivers. TBH, getting stuck at the roadblock of away fans coaches being escaorted from City's ground is far more of a pain round there, when you forget they're at home.

I've done a couple of the organised smaller rides too with the kids, nice as someone else made the decisions and I could just roll along behind. They were fine, friendly & sensible leaders who were clearly experienced cyclists (apart from the one who's toolkit didn't have allen keys) quiet choices for the on-road bits, short and gentle paced but I did pick the easy rides, I've no complaints and if I my job didn't include weekends I'd consider putting myself up as a leader for them to help get more people into riding in a friendly relaxed atmosphere.

there are different grades of organised rides too, if I was on my own I would have picked something other than easy, but with kids in tow...

lesley_x

Über Member
I've done two Sky Ride Locals. First was one was 'easygoing' grade which was great for kids but not suited to us. Second was a 'steady' off road ride on a windfarm which was seriously challenging.

I would definitely and absolutely recommend them. The ride leaders are great.

Superb! We did six laps in the end, and matched our circuits with a pint in the Tyne Bar each time. My mate isn't much of a drinker so was vaguely ruined by the time we made it to the BBQ we had planned for the evening.

@Martin Archer, you could well be right. That being the case the inaugural 'Challenging' ride in Newcastle was good fun. Pace was a bit sedate at first but picked up slightly after the first stop. One chap struggled badly and dropped off (of his own accord) and there were a few others who shouldn't really have attempted such a long distance. The team leaders kept us as close together as possible and were excellent overall. Definitely more of a country side pootle than a challenge for me, but I was happy to push a big gear around and get a bit of a work out that way.
Was that this Sunday gone up toward Mitford @AndyRM?

There was a group of three riders that passed you then stopped then passed you again -twice.
That was me, my Father in aw and brother in law.
The former was leading and kept saying he didn't know where he was - blooming useless.

Top Bottom