Who's done a Sky ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
The Birmingham one used to be great, I did it in 2011 with my 2 boys in a trailer (ages 4 & 2 at the time). It started in cannon hill park, went down the Pershore rd into the city centre and looped back to the park. In 2012 and for 2013 the council has caved into pressure to keep to back roads and the route is quite unsuitable for children as it involves one steep section (8% ish) that you have to go both up and down, so has the potential for both high speed accidents (think kids not in full control), plus congestion as some people unable to ride up get off and walk up. SKYride cannot do anything about the route as it's down to what the council will allow.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I've signed me, the Drama Queen and the Mad Scientist (my 11 & 8 year old girls) for a ride in Derby this Sunday afternoon.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I did a short Skyride in Stockton and managed to test the organisation by falling off the Brompton.

The leaders were great, plenty of care and attention offered which happily was not needed as it was only a slow speed tumble.

The pace and distance was aimed at the unfit/kids, but that was clear from the off so no complaints from me.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Couldn't go in the end. Done my back in - see the fettling thread. Still, it seems to be a regular ride, so I'll take them after our holiday.

Bryony

Veteran
I've done a few of the local rides with my fiancé and kids we took our 8 year old on a 8 mile steady ride which was very flat and she did great, we took her on another 8 mile steady ride a few weeks later and she really wasn't in the mood and holding everyone up so we turned round and went back to the car but luckily one of the ride leaders was the one at our first ride so knew she was capable!! He was very understanding and sent a lovely email later that day saying he was sorry she didn't feel like it and hoped she wasn't put off and that he thought we did the right thing by not nagging and pushing her to complete the ride!! We then took her on a 4 mile easy going ride to build her confidence up a bit more and she did great!! And she still gets her free backpack because the leader said that even though she didn't complete the ride he'll put down that she did so she can still get her reward!!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have done a few, bloody frustrating things they are as you need to stop every so miles to wait for others to catch up when in fact you just want to continue, and that's just on the adult runs, the one or two I went on that included kids (to 'case' a new route) were different, obviously (the kids' at least have an excuse).

Last edited:

Dibs

Veteran
I completed my first SkyRide yesterday... Thought it was really good.

I completed a 'Steady' 12 mike cycle in Edinburgh. Learned some cycle routes that I never knew existed, only lived in the area all my life (almost).

:bicycle:

Definitely worth a shot...

Top Bottom