Who's got the Hackiest hack of them all..?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Edmondson

I built THIS shameless little winter hack/hill beast today. It got me thinking - how 'hacky' can one get? Never mind the beautiful restoration and performance bikes popping up on this feed - how about the unsung hero's, the rough and ready workhorse's and the unlikely mash-ups? Who's got a pic?
IMG_1287_zpsafe9b0d5.jpg.html

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I understand posts 364 days of the year. Must have hit 365.

OP
OP
John Edmondson

John Edmondson

I readily admit to not understanding your post but that bike (I missed the link at first) is a beautiful shade of green. Good to go green.
Ha! I slipped on the post button before it was ready and shifted off to make a brew... Most kind - the cougar frame was a rescue job as the fork was totally jammed - had to cut it off and replace it with the black hammerite coated one it has now. Proper Frankenstein job...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I retired this one a couple months ago after getting a proper Fixed/SS, but for the last two years I commuted through the winter on this: -
DSCF1239.JPG

The frame was from an old Claud Butler Hybrid (hence the strange bar angle and short, steep stem trying to mitigate the longer top tube of the hybrid frame), it was lowered a bit later on), the chainset, bars, wheels and stem from my late Dawes Tourer, Brakes and levers 2nd hand from a cycling forum. Only new bits on the bike were the rack, chain tensioner and the single-speed conversion kit.

Unfortunately a lot of the components were old and worn out/rusted in place by the end so it wasn't really salvageable. I planned to turn it back into a 7sp flat bar and use it as a pub bike, but as I went to change components they had a habit of stripping or seizing so I gave up. :sad:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Aw, I thought this was going to be a who's got the most muddy bike thread. Hacky/Hackiest in Geordie vernacular means dirty.

I've botched a few mismatches and frankenbikes together in my time but space now the rest of the family have bikes is at a premium and my store of bits is very depleted nowadays.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That looks half decent @John Edmondson. I started a thread for "Frankenbikes" in Photo Gallery but didn't get many posts.

OP
OP
John Edmondson

John Edmondson

That looks half decent @John Edmondson. I started a thread for "Frankenbikes" in Photo Gallery but didn't get many posts.
Cheers! Shame about the white handlebar tape (i would have preferred to have used black but i has some spare white lying around... I to I took her for a spin this morning and she runs like a dream! I guess the thread title might have been better thought out - i'l like the term 'Frankenbike'...
@mcshroom has posted a good example of what i was driving at - a bike comprised of parts from all over the place and put together in a purposeful and unique way! :thumbsup:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I readily admit to not understanding your post but that bike (I missed the link at first) is a beautiful shade of green. Good to go green.

Many consider green to be an unlucky colour for cars, maybe why there aren't too many of them. Is it the same for bikes? Must say it don't care for the shade on bikes.

OP
OP
John Edmondson

John Edmondson

Many consider green to be an unlucky colour for cars, maybe why there aren't too many of them. Is it the same for bikes? Must say it don't care for the shade on bikes.
I was immediately taken by the frame colour but then i like green. This is my second green bike... Not a fan of red bikes personally but generally and within reason - I'm not bothered.

Top Bottom