Whos got the loudest freewheeling sound here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
fossyant said:
I can probably claim the quietest.......... DA 7400 hubs on my best bike - can't hear them unless you are stood next to them whilst the bike is in maintenance stand.....

Im going to cry now :smile:

Ranger

RedBike said:
Apparently Chris King hubs are the loadest.

Stereotypically Shimano have always manufactured their hubs to be silent whereas Campag have opted for the mechanical click.

I rather like the click from my Hope hubs for the simple reason that very effective at alerting ramblers you're there.

My fixie is completely silent. When commuting along a shared use cyclepath its all too easy to creap up on walkers. You ride up behind them, call out "morning" and watch them jump a mile.

I must admit my clicky freewheel is perfect for making walkers aware you are they when crossing the Forth Road Bridge and people seem to prefer it to me shouting at them:blush:

redjedi

Über Member
You do get used to the sound of noisy freewheels and I find it quite relaxing as I'm sure all those you cycle with me do to ;)

My Campag Kamshin are quite loud, a little louder than Fulcrum 7s I think but not as high pitched as they are in the vid posted.

They also make a good replacement for a bell. A little freewheel can get most peoples attention without startling.

When I used some quiet wheels it just doesn't seem right.

Top Bottom