Whos got the loudest freewheeling sound here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have Fulcrum 7's and yes they are a tad noisy. Doesn't really bother me, although it means the folk in work can hear me coming in in the morning!

BentMikey said:
Well, I don't have a hope actually. :biggrin:

You left yourself wide open there.:wacko:

I see with the smiley you didn't miss it.

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
magnatom said:
I have Fulcrum 7's and yes they are a tad noisy. Doesn't really bother me, although it means the folk in work can hear me coming in in the morning!

I have to resist freewheeling down my road when I start a early shift for work so I dont wake up the neighbours :wacko:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Darkmarkster said:
Im still curious as to why certains freehubs from certain manufacturers are louder than others,is there a reason to this or?

I suspect BM might have hit on one major aspect in his post on page 1. Just look at sports clothing and kit, brand names blazoned everywhere, some of the bike frames are shocking. But, unless you get up close and personal, you don't really know what sort of hub someone has. Colours and design help but nothing screams out, look at me, like a demented chainsaw. It adds an audio, as well as a visual, aspect to the moving billboard you're riding. It also advertises the fact that you've got an expensive hub to go with your expensive frame.

A pair of Hope hubs were on my shopping list until I found out the noise they made. Anything that removes my ability to freewheel, in silence, on a deserted country lane, soaking up the atmosphere, just doesn't do it for me.

If you just want to make a noise to let people know how much you've spent. Then get some £50 notes laminated and use them as spoke cards. At least that way the rest of us can shut you up without having to trash your rear wheel:evil:

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
MacB said:
I suspect BM might have hit on one major aspect in his post on page 1. Just look at sports clothing and kit, brand names blazoned everywhere, some of the bike frames are shocking. But, unless you get up close and personal, you don't really know what sort of hub someone has. Colours and design help but nothing screams out, look at me, like a demented chainsaw. It adds an audio, as well as a visual, aspect to the moving billboard you're riding. It also advertises the fact that you've got an expensive hub to go with your expensive frame.

A pair of Hope hubs were on my shopping list until I found out the noise they made. Anything that removes my ability to freewheel, in silence, on a deserted country lane, soaking up the atmosphere, just doesn't do it for me.

If you just want to make a noise to let people know how much you've spent. Then get some £50 notes laminated and use them as spoke cards. At least that way the rest of us can shut you up without having to trash your rear wheel:evil:

A point well made ;)

RedBike

Apparently Chris King hubs are the loadest.

Stereotypically Shimano have always manufactured their hubs to be silent whereas Campag have opted for the mechanical click.

I rather like the click from my Hope hubs for the simple reason that very effective at alerting ramblers you're there.

My fixie is completely silent. When commuting along a shared use cyclepath its all too easy to creap up on walkers. You ride up behind them, call out "morning" and watch them jump a mile.

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
RedBike said:
Apparently Chris King hubs are the loadest.

Stereotypically Shimano have always manufactured their hubs to be silent whereas Campag have opted for the mechanical click.

I rather like the click from my Hope hubs for the simple reason that very effective at alerting ramblers you're there.

My fixie is completely silent. When commuting along a shared use cyclepath its all too easy to creap up on walkers. You ride up behind them, call out "morning" and watch them jump a mile.

I used to be able to do that but since i changed wheelsets my work can probably hear me coming before ive even left my road ;)

RedBike

I don't deliberately creap up on people!
I would rather they heard me coming and actually moved out of the way.

I've ended up fitting a bell in an attempt to politely get the numerous dog walker to shift out of my way.

OP
OP
D

Darkmarkster

Über Member
RedBike said:
I don't deliberately creap up on people!
I would rather they heard me coming and actually moved out of the way.

I've ended up fitting a bell in an attempt to politely get the numerous dog walker to shift out of my way.

Ding Ding ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can probably claim the quietest.......... DA 7400 hubs on my best bike - can't hear them unless you are stood next to them whilst the bike is in maintenance stand.....

I've got some noisy (old) Hope Titanium hubs on carbon rims, but nothing as loud as Fulcrums.........

For commuting though, fixed is fairly quiet, don't have a freewheel !!!!!:smile:

Top Bottom