Whos got the loudest freewheeling sound here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darkmarkster

Über Member
Random and pointless thread to see who is the King of the noisy freewheeling here ;)

Commuters or non commuters it matters not!

Im running a Fulcrum 7 Wheelset on my commuter and thats noisy! :sad:

Tynan

Veteran
I've heard some luicrous ones from new bikes

what's the need for them to be so loud, it makes no sense to me at all

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Tynan said:
I've heard some luicrous ones from new bikes

what's the need for them to be so loud, it makes no sense to me at all

unless there's some mechanical advantage then I agree, a machine gun noise when freewheeling does seem to detract from the peace and quiet a bike ride can provide.

Olly

I have old mavic 501 hubs
and they are almost silent!
I'd like them to be noisier though to shift the peds out of the cycle lane ;)

buddha

Veteran
The Planet-X Superlight hubs I'm currently running are louder than anything else I've heard, though they've only done around 300miles so far. I had a group of horse riders about 30-40 metres ahead today who heard me before I needed to shout out to say I was passing.

Almost as loud is the £3.99, "Made in India" single speed freewheel with no grease - which needs some TLC.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Fulcrum 7's here too.

Hated them with a passion at first. Now when I ride a silent bike I miss the noise..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know what Mr Summerdays has but its loud.... its about the most annoying thing about riding with him (other than his ease of getting up hills and having to wait at the top for me).

Ranger

BentMikey said:
Apparently Hope hubs are amongst the very loudest. It's supposed to be a sign of expensive hubs, so a status symbol.

The Hope hubs I have are indeed very loud (loud enough to be commented on by other riders) but I quite like it as the clicking reminds me to keep pedalling and stop being such a slacker:biggrin:

Top Bottom