Who's idea was it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

...putting the sodding saddle slightly upwards?

I thought I'd missed a trick, so yesterday I realigned the nose of my saddle so it was just angled upwards of the horizontal. I totally forgot about it, but jumped on the turbo tonight. I feel like Mike Tyson has been taking pot shots at my gooch for 45 minutes, the bastard.

How is this a comfortable setup for any man? The nose of the saddle felt like it wanted to be inside me.

Best set a reminder to angle her slightly downwards again, where I had perfect comfort.

Seriously though. Is there any medically backed reason I SHOULDN'T have my saddle angled ever so slightly downwards of the horizontal? Or is comfort king?

arch684

Veteran
It's your saddle and your arse so have it the way you want it

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I only ride solid leather saddles like a Brooks in that manner, due to sitting more in, than on, the saddle. Even then I tweak the fit a bit for the type of riding. Upright riding, I ride more nose up than racing or touring, where the nose of the saddle is much more horizontal, in my own use. I think you have to see what works best for you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Generally the rule is to start with the saddle flat as determined with a spirit level and then experiment a few degrees each way. I happen to like mine canted up by a degree or two but any more would be painful.

Saddle position is closely linked to bar height and reach but it's always the first thing to adjust on a road bike.

The saddles on static bikes are often of crap quality, too squidgy, too broad and too sweaty. The other problem with a road bike on a turbo (why? the days are still long and warm) is that you tend to stay seated for long periods of time without getting out of the saddle to relieve pressure.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Numbness ..not good
i have several seats and All need to be set at different angles or i feel pain or numbness ..

it can literally be half a turn of the front or rear bolt setting..

crap seat will be crap whatever you do btw

Top Bottom