Why am i not losing weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I have a similar problem to the OP...

I am currently taking part in a sponsored slimathon at work. I am officially the biggest loser !
So far in 8 weeks I have lost 15.5 lbs, but this week I put on half a pound.

I am confused as I get weighed at the same time every week, after a ride to work, and before breakfast, in the same clothes, on the same digital scales etc.

I worked harder on my bike in the last week than in the previous 7 (getting fitter) and have started to ride my MTB to work rather than my road bike for extra effort.
I have cut out practically all processed food from my diet, stopped drinking alcohol, started consuming gallons of water and smaller meals... I can't work out what's changed this week.

I guess I just need to start upping my ride outs at the weekend and go for a longer 25+ mile ride instead of a quick 12 or 15 mile blatt. My target is to lose another 16 lbs before my hols in September.

I totally understand that weight loss = calories burned > calories consumed, but I have eaten less and exercised more in the last week than in previous weeks, yet put on weight, albeit only a couple of hundred grams. Maybe my hair needs cutting ?
laugh.gif

Any ideas ?

Daniel.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a similar problem to the OP...

I am currently taking part in a sponsored slimathon at work. I am officially the biggest loser !
So far in 8 weeks I have lost 15.5 lbs, but this week I put on half a pound.

I am confused as I get weighed at the same time every week, after a ride to work, and before breakfast, in the same clothes, on the same digital scales etc.

I worked harder on my bike in the last week than in the previous 7 (getting fitter) and have started to ride my MTB to work rather than my road bike for extra effort.
I have cut out practically all processed food from my diet, stopped drinking alcohol,  started consuming gallons of water and smaller meals... I can't work out what's changed this week.

Water weighs 1 kg per litre so it doesn't take a huge amount of fluid retention to account for the difference. A couple of pees later and you were probably back on track.

Don't get hung up on individual weight readings - take a sliding average and most of the daily variations become insignificant. I.e. today's weight is the average of today's plus the previous 6 days' readings.

screenman

Legendary Member
I feel that too many people on a supposed diet are just guessing what they eat, try getting a complete list and absolutely no cheating of what you eat and drink and put it through one of the sites like Mydailyplate. Most people will be quite shocked at how many calories there are going in, I know I was.

4 stone lost in the last 6 months and still going down, funny thing is I now enjoy being on a diet, it gives me a feeling of self control that was missing before.

amnesia - post your daily diet - to confuse the issue you may be eating too much of the wrong food - the devil will be in the details.. ;-)

amnesia

amnesia - post your daily diet - to confuse the issue you may be eating too much of the wrong food - the devil will be in the details.. ;-)

In May I had a thorough health check with BUPA which showed I had a BMI of 29.9, a waist of 38", and a bodyfat % of 28%. I was also told I had the lung capacity of a 60 year old - I am 36 and have never smoked !!! Blood sugar and pressure was fine though. I also have a stressful office-based job.

Things changed from that day onwards... (apart from the job)... started cycling to work at least 3 times a week, and I go for a ride every Saturday and Sunday morning before my wife gets up.

Today's menu

Breakfast - 2 x slices of brown toast with 1 x 10g tub of Flora spread and Marmite
Lunch - boxed salad (inc tuna steak, olives, cucumber, sweet pepper, half a boiled egg, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, vinaigrette dressing) - about the size of a cereal bowl in total
Dinner - tagliatelle with napoletana (roasted tomato) sauce, a little grated cheese on top

Breakfast and lunch is the same every workday - weekends I have cereal or porridge for breakfast, wholemeal roll with chicken or ham for lunch and a good dinner (steak & oven chips or roast dinner).

I have cut out all snacks throughout the day. I can't remember the last time I tasted chocolate / crisps / ice cream / processed crap from Iceland etc.
I drink about 3 litres of water a day + orange juice with dinner and occasionally a small 300ml beer in the evening. No hot drinks & I don't like milk.

I don't feel that I eat too much, I don't drink alcohol excessively and I am currently cycling up to 75 miles per week. The longest ride I do is only about 15 miles though, which takes around 50 minutes. I guess I need to do some longer rides at the weekend and concentrate on fat burning rather than cardio.

I've lost 16 pounds in 7 weeks, and want to lose another 18 pounds to hit 12.5 stone and achieve a BMI of 25. My holiday is 6th September, so only 6 weeks away.

Any thoughts ?

Anyone in the Bournemouth area that wants to go on some slow-ish 30mile+ rides at the weekends ?

amnesia. In my opinion you are eating to little, I feel hungry looking at your diet!! The carb timings are a bit off as well. Are you hungry during the day?

IMHO there is way too little protein in there, protein makes you feel sated for longer. How is this:

Meal 1 - Porridge with skimmed milk.
Meal 2 - Protein shake and/or handful of nuts
Meal 3 - Tagliatelle with Napoletana sauce with tuna. or chieken, or some othe protein source.
Meal 4 - Protein shake / handful of nuts
Meal 5 - Salad - exactly as you describe
Meal 6 - Boiled egg or meats or tuna - no carbs.

The idea here, mate is to strip the carbs as the day goes on. Mix it up to have carbs after excersise if you are riding that day.

once a fortnight have a blow out. If you want curry chips and rice, eat it. If you want mashed potato, have it. If you want icecream, do it! You're metabolism will speed up after the cheat meal and get back into the weight loss zone that we want.

Keep the water intake high as well.

Hope this helps mate. Any other questions give me a shout... as the other guys say as well - don't get hung up on the KGs - get targted on body fat and how your clothes feel on you.

amnesia

amnesia. In my opinion you are eating to little, I feel hungry looking at your diet!! The carb timings are a bit off as well. Are you hungry during the day?

IMHO there is way too little protein in there, protein makes you feel sated for longer. How is this:

Meal 1 - Porridge with skimmed milk.
Meal 2 - Protein shake and/or handful of nuts
Meal 3 - Tagliatelle with Napoletana sauce with tuna. or chieken, or some othe protein source.
Meal 4 - Protein shake / handful of nuts
Meal 5 - Salad - exactly as you describe
Meal 6 - Boiled egg or meats or tuna - no carbs.

The idea here, mate is to strip the carbs as the day goes on. Mix it up to have carbs after excersise if you are riding that day.

once a fortnight have a blow out. If you want curry chips and rice, eat it. If you want mashed potato, have it. If you want icecream, do it! You're metabolism will speed up after the cheat meal and get back into the weight loss zone that we want.

Keep the water intake high as well.

Hope this helps mate. Any other questions give me a shout... as the other guys say as well - don't get hung up on the KGs - get targted on body fat and how your clothes feel on you.

Thanks 007 - I will try and increase protein (we do eat quite a lot of chicken). I quite like beef jerky, which is high in protein and easy to eat during the day.

Maybe I'll treat myself to a Chinese at the weekend - haven't had one for yonks.

I will start a food diary on Monday and post up every few days - weigh in day at work is on Tuesday.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Bayerd

Über Member
In May I had a thorough health check with BUPA which showed I had a BMI of 29.9, a waist of 38", and a bodyfat % of 28%. I was also told I had the lung capacity of a 60 year old - I am 36 and have never smoked !!! Blood sugar and pressure was fine though. I also have a stressful office-based job.

Things changed from that day onwards... (apart from the job)... started cycling to work at least 3 times a week, and I go for a ride every Saturday and Sunday morning before my wife gets up.

Today's menu

Breakfast - 2 x slices of brown toast with 1 x 10g tub of Flora spread and Marmite
Lunch - boxed salad (inc tuna steak, olives, cucumber, sweet pepper, half a boiled egg, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, vinaigrette dressing) - about the size of a cereal bowl in total
Dinner - tagliatelle with napoletana (roasted tomato) sauce, a little grated cheese on top

Breakfast and lunch is the same every workday - weekends I have cereal or porridge for breakfast, wholemeal roll with chicken or ham for lunch and a good dinner (steak & oven chips or roast dinner).

I have cut out all snacks throughout the day. I can't remember the last time I tasted chocolate / crisps / ice cream / processed crap from Iceland etc.
I drink about 3 litres of water a day + orange juice with dinner and occasionally a small 300ml beer in the evening. No hot drinks & I don't like milk.

I don't feel that I eat too much, I don't drink alcohol excessively and I am currently cycling up to 75 miles per week. The longest ride I do is only about 15 miles though, which takes around 50 minutes. I guess I need to do some longer rides at the weekend and concentrate on fat burning rather than cardio.

I've lost 16 pounds in 7 weeks, and want to lose another 18 pounds to hit 12.5 stone and achieve a BMI of 25. My holiday is 6th September, so only 6 weeks away.

Any thoughts ?

Anyone in the Bournemouth area that wants to go on some slow-ish 30mile+ rides at the weekends ?

I was in pretty much the same position as you this time last year. I also started cycling and changed diet to one similar to what you've posted.

It took me 6 months to get down from 16.5 stone to 12.5 stone. I cycle a similar amount to you also. I now find that my metabolism has sped up so I can eat and drink what I want, and as long as I keep the cycling up, the weight stays off.

If I were you I'd carry on doing what you're doing.

Don't forget that as you get fitter, your body will also get more efficient. If you stick to the same rides, you will use less calories and if you're not careful, the weight will go back on. Mix up your exercise, cross train, do some running, change your rides.

Has anyone else heard the urban myth of a girl asking her dad why she was fat? His answer was "'Cos your mouth's bigger than your ar$ehole".

I belive he had a point.

Top Bottom