Why are people against CCTV and speed cameras on the roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
If they weren't throwingthe money at these expensive and ineffectual speed cams, they would have more money to spend o real police - they caught me didn't they (Average speed cams don't work on m/bikes either BTW)
Or if you change lanes (Unless the its been changed recently).

green1

Über Member
Well you're choosing to only see speeding as a problem where it is the prime cause of a collision. How many times do I have to repeat that in any situation, higher speeds will make a collision more likely and more serious - regardless of what the primary cause is.
If that's the case why are motorways our safest roads?

Dan B

Disengaged member
In regards to car drivers overtaking a cylist and then slamming on the brakes because of a speedcamera...wouldn't a camera that viewed your driving ability help? Imagine if someone overtook you dangerously and a camera spotted it so it sent a fine to your house?
When I first read that I thought it was a brilliant idea. But checking again, it turns out you didn't write "set fire to your house" after all. Shame

Linford

Is there any chance we can spice this thread up - everybody is being very civilised in putting their arguments across ;)

DRHysted

Guru
The biggest problems motorised road users have now adays is that speed limits for roads are not being set by the engineers that design the roads (before a road is opened the engineers examine the road and advise the ruling authority what speed is safe for motorised vehicles), but by politics. This tends to make motorised road users start to simply look at a speed limit and think "that's wrong" and go thier own way. Motorised road vehicles have been designed to safely travel at much faster speeds (mine does 70mph at 2000rpm).

Now I may be wrong because I don't live or travel in a built up area, and the roads I drive on really do not warrent anything under 30mph. Most of them are 60mph, and I commute on push bike along those same roads. Without fear, as nearly all the motorised road users give as much room as they can, and in return I give them as much room as is safe, so we share the roads.

Four years ago after a motorcyclist was killed by a car pulling out from a side road in front of him. They reduced the speed limit for a section to 40mph, which was purely political because at 40 he still would have been killed. The only time people do 40 is 6am Christmass and Boxing day morning when the Police sit in the layby, even the Police do not do the speed limit. Here is why we have issues with speed limits.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I had no idea that the safety of a motor vehicle was inversely proportional to engine rpm, so thank you for enlightening me

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

If that's the case why are motorways our safest roads?

Because of changes in the other variables:

All traffic travelling in one direction.

No traffic signals, Give Way signs or Stop signs.

No sharp bends.

No vehicles that are restricted to speeds which vary greatly from the National Speed Limit.

... and many more.

Norm

By whom? Cite your sources, please, or don't engage in straw-man arguments.
Nice try but you don't need to look beyond the first post on this very thread.

They are there to catch people who break the speed limit, that's all.

Of course they don't catch people driving too fast (but under the limit) in fog - they are not designed to.
Then can I suggest that you don't quote such figures in statistics which you consider to be supporting speed cameras .

Norm

No vehicles that are restricted to speeds which vary greatly from the National Speed Limit.
Sorry, Bicycle... ahem, Boris, but that's not true either. Coaches, goods vehicles, any vehicle towing something etc, all have limits below 70mph.

On my speed awareness course, one the instructors kept telling us how he drove a 'high performance car', he was a horrible little man and incredibly patronising.

Anyway, it later transpired that his "high performance car" was a Fabia VRS.... the BMW M5 driving chap sat next to me nearly wet himself.

Ever since men have been aware that penis size varies, they have had a fascination with comparison in that area.

Most people not wrapped up in a schoolboy fascination with this passtime would say that a Skoda Fabia vRS is a performance car.

That it is not as fast as an M5 is academic. I may be alone in this, but I get a sense from this post that there may be rather too much concentration on BHP and willy size, that might helpfully have been left behind before we reached school-leaving age.

I may be very wrong. I often am. :smile:

Top Bottom