Why are people against CCTV and speed cameras on the roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Motorways are relatively safe because vehicles that might render them less so are excluded from them. This (up to a point) is the theory behind cycle lanes. I never use them, but I'm told that is the thinking.

That's a bit like saying that the lion's den is a safe place provided that those dangerous wildebeest are kept out of it

acrybb

I am really for CCTV and speed cameras. I have heard people say that speed cameras are money grabbers but my argument is that the speed limit is there to help save lives. I also believe that if you can't obey the laws then you shouldn't be driving in the first place. Imagine if every road had a speed camera? Would it not make the roads safer? I also think every road should have a camera so that any dangerous moves and stuff like that can be monitored. You could have something like a 3 strike rule where if you do something dangerous 3 times then you get a letter in the post which mentions it. I really would like some feedback on the idea because I honestly think cameras on the road would really help. Plus it could help when you need to prove who's fault an accident was.

I am also not against the idea of CCTV etc on the road nothing to hide nothing to fear and all that. I do feel however the SPECS and GATSO cameras can be as much a danger as they cant be a preventative measure. Where would you rather a drivers eyes? On the road or on his/her speedo? More police cars with the power to apply common sense to a situation should be whats happening. I think that catching people who are actually being careless on the roads is the best course of action. The 20/30mph zones should be strictly policed they are 20/30mph for a reason. motorways are exactly that, i believe at certain times of the day a speed limit is beneficial however if the roads empty then its down to common sense.

I am also not against the idea of CCTV etc on the road nothing to hide nothing to fear and all that. I do feel however the SPECS and GATSO cameras can be as much a danger as they cant be a preventative measure. Where would you rather a drivers eyes? On the road or on his/her speedo?

Simply poor driving skills if you really need to drive like this. a GAtso is no more dangerous than a girl in a short skirt, perhaps we should ban girls and short skirts after all where would you rather have a driver's eyes?

More police cars with the power to apply common sense to a situation should be whats happening. I think that catching people who are actually being careless on the roads is the best course of action. The 20/30mph zones should be strictly policed they are 20/30mph for a reason. motorways are exactly that, i believe at certain times of the day a speed limit is beneficial however if the roads empty then its down to common sense.

Manchester did this and we had bleating that Police were a danger as motorists had to look out for Police enforcing the law, thus meaning that they could not have their eyes on the road. Where would you rather have a drivers eyes? On the road or looking for Police?

acrybb

Simply poor driving skills if you really need to drive like this. a GAtso is no more dangerous than a girl in a short skirt, perhaps we should ban girls and short skirts after all where would you rather have a driver's eyes?

Maybe so im fairly sure that i can maintain a 30mph speed limit. However when faced with the possibility of 3 points and £60 i will make sure i dont break the speed limit. I have cruise control and therefore use it through specs controlled areas. There are lots of cars with no cruise control and lots of cars with no cruise control and poor drivers. Therefore eyes are not on the road.

The problem with a Gatso is that what happens is that people stray over the limit then realise that a gatso has appeared slam on the brakes the person behind also not paying attention hits him. There is where the problem lies. again its bad driving but bad driving is a part of modern driving. It shouldnt be but it is.

Manchester did this and we had bleating that Police were a danger as motorists had to look out for Police enforcing the law, thus meaning that they could not have their eyes on the road. Where would you rather have a drivers eyes? On the road or looking for Police?

Manchester police may well have done this. Very good. I think the point im making is that the police need to be more visible rather than driving around in unmarked cars this is what people end up looking for the unmarked cars therefore concentration is not on the road. If the cars were all marked the police might not catch anyone breaking the law.

That would be because they arnt doing so. Why? Because they know the police are there.

The problem with a Gatso is that what happens is that people stray over the limit then realise that a gatso has appeared slam on the brakes the person behind also not paying attention hits him.

Really? You have any evidence for this assertion?

acrybb

Yes stand at a gatso long enough you will see it happen.

Anyway. Let's me say one last thing and I'll get off your toes.

Would it not be best to patrol the whole road rather than a hundred yards of it people who know its there speed up to it slow down for it and speed up for it.

I'm not saying they are a bad idea or even useless. I'm saying that more visible police are a far better deterrent to bad driving than any camera.

Would you not agree with the last statement at least ?

Reactions: gaz

Linford

Yes stand at a gatso long enough you will see it happen.

Anyway. Let's me say one last thing and I'll get off your toes.

Would it not be best to patrol the whole road rather than a hundred yards of it people who know its there speed up to it slow down for it and speed up for it.

I'm not saying they are a bad idea or even useless. I'm saying that more visible police are a far better deterrent to bad driving than any camera.

Would you not agree with the last statement at least ?

Gatso's don't worry me if I'm honest, but the prospect of getting tailed again by an unmarked car with a camera on the dash always makes me think very hard about what the needle is doing on the dash, if and when I want to wind it on. I was in control of the throttle, and I gave it a big handful. If I'd have suspected for a moment that have police were following me, would I have given it some - absolutely not.

That is my argument against Gatso's and anyone can read into it whatever they want to. They aren't an effective deterrent....

OP
OP
Rahul Sapariya

Rahul Sapariya

Regular
I am also not against the idea of CCTV etc on the road nothing to hide nothing to fear and all that. I do feel however the SPECS and GATSO cameras can be as much a danger as they cant be a preventative measure. Where would you rather a drivers eyes? On the road or on his/her speedo? More police cars with the power to apply common sense to a situation should be whats happening. I think that catching people who are actually being careless on the roads is the best course of action. The 20/30mph zones should be strictly policed they are 20/30mph for a reason. motorways are exactly that, i believe at certain times of the day a speed limit is beneficial however if the roads empty then its down to common sense.

But how do you sort the drivers with common sense from the drivers without common sense? And speed cameras have little give when it comes to speed so in a 30mph, 35mph is acceptable. And looking at your speedo takes a split second glance. My annoyance is the ones who go 10+ mph higher than the speed limit on a given road. It takes someone longer to stop and hitting them at a higher speed has a higher chance of death. It is damn near impossible to separate good drivers from bad drivers without having public outrage in terms of who can judge when it is safe to drive faster, so have the same set of rules for everyone.

DRHysted

Guru

There have been times when a short skirt has caused a near miss or two, but they are pleasurable, so I wouldn't ban them.
Now billboards.................................

acrybb

But how do you sort the drivers with common sense from the drivers without common sense? And speed cameras have little give when it comes to speed so in a 30mph, 35mph is acceptable. And looking at your speedo takes a split second glance. My annoyance is the ones who go 10+ mph higher than the speed limit on a given road. It takes someone longer to stop and hitting them at a higher speed has a higher chance of death. It is damn near impossible to separate good drivers from bad drivers without having public outrage in terms of who can judge when it is safe to drive faster, so have the same set of rules for everyone.

Yeah like i say gatsos are a great deterrent for about a hundred yards or what ever they are. They are also useless once everyone knows where they are. Having more visible police on the roads are a deterrent everywhere all of the time. There is no point in preventing speeding for a small portion of a road. You can still drive dangerously at 30mph as you lot will know.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That's easy to rectify. Stop painting them orange and start moving them around.

Top Bottom