Why are they replacing back wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Haven't you already put a thread up about this ?
If, as they claim, a spoke is broken...... why didn't you notice this ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Halfords are replacing my Bike Back Wheel due to 1 spoke hanging off and various other S being slightly bent. I’m wondering if have any ideas on why that might solve the problem.
I gave you suggestions. Then I checked what else you'd posted and discovered this was a back wheel off an e-bike.
I think it would've been helpful if you'd shared that in your OP, as the rear wheel on a Carrera Crosscity is a bit different to a 'normal' bike wheel and there are obviously an additional set of possible reasons for the symptoms described.
Just saying.
[From other thread]
I purchased the electric Carrera Crosscity Halfords bike 6 weeks ago. . . . around 3 days ago, the peddling suddenly felt heavier. Almost like something was pulling it back as I peddled. I pumped up the wheels, put oil on the chain and the breaks where aligned. yet still the same problem. I noticed that when I’m NOT peddling and moving, the bike feels perfectly fine. When I peddle without the electric motor on, it was fairly heavy before, now it feels 3 times heavier than it did before.

OP
OP
Scottmartin99

Scottmartin99

Regular
I gave you suggestions. Then I checked what else you'd posted and discovered this was a back wheel off an e-bike.
I think it would've been helpful if you'd shared that in your OP, as the rear wheel on a Carrera Crosscity is a bit different to a 'normal' bike wheel and there are obviously an additional set of possible reasons for the symptoms described.
Just saying.
[From other thread]

You are correct, please accept my apologies.

OP
OP
Scottmartin99

Scottmartin99

Regular
Its a rear hub motor drive, so its most likely this sudden change in performance is due to the hub motor developing a problem or the drive electronics
Thanks. Question. If the motor is switched off, will be peddling performance of the bike, still be affected?

OP
OP
Scottmartin99

Scottmartin99

Regular
A theory re the heavy feeling. I could imagine the loss of wheel rigidity (bent and broken spokes) could make it feel heavy, stodgy, the power just wouldn't be transmitted from motor to rims as well as it should.

Interesting. If the motor is off, could the heavy pedalling still be there?

CXRAndy

Guru
Its quite hard to tell, whether a non functional motor would cause drag. I suppose a back emf could be created producing a magnetic force opposing forward motion of the wheel.

Its one of those that you might not be aware until you actually test the bike in that scenario.

Lets see if a new rear wheel cures your 'harder to pedal' feel

Halford techs are of variable quality. Some know their trade, others tickbox the self assessment.
Ask the guy if he prestressed the spokes. If you get a blank look, the answer is no.

Pre stressing is grabbing a handfull of opposite spokes and squeezing. This can unwind spokes that have been rotated and bed in the elbow. Spokes often need tensioning and trueing after pre stressing.

You can ping the spokes and they should be the same (ish) note if components are good enough

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ask the guy if he prestressed the spokes.
No Halfords guy has touched the spokes of this wheel though, have they, except by accident when putting the wheel on before sale? Until he checked, found one spoke broken and others "bent". Then he decided to just replace the wheel (see above): no repair or "prestressing" (you mean stress relieving, (Jobst Brandt) I think) was involve or needed in this scenario as it unfolded.
More: from https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-building-tip-no-4-how-to-pre-stress-your-wheel/ and says:
". . . refer to material science and the well established practice of stress relieving. What a new wheel can really use is not, technically speaking, pre-stressing. It’s stress relieving. Any assembled structure involves new forces within its component parts. These forces involve static loads but they also involve trapped stress. Sometimes this stress is beneficial but generally it will make the structure less stable and encourage fatigue failure. "
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crosscity-folding-electric-bike-750632.html
Remember this e-bike has a 20" wheel with a motor hub and thus deep flanges, so the spokes are really short and angled. High frequency ping!
1587132902193.png

Top Bottom