Why are they replacing back wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Halfords are replacing my Bike Back Wheel due to 1 spoke hanging off and various other S being slightly bent. I’m wondering if have any ideas on why that might solve the problem. Here is the problem I have been experiencing,

Over night, the peddling suddenly felt a little heavier. Almost like, something was pulling it back a little bit as I peddled. I noticed that when I’m NOT peddling and moving, the bike feels perfectly fine.

Im just wondering what your thoughts are, on why this might solve it?

Thanks everyone
Scott

Hi all,

Halfords are replacing my Bike Back Wheel due to 1 spoke hanging off and various other S being slightly bent. I’m wondering if have any ideas on why that might solve the problem. Here is the problem I have been experiencing,

Over night, the peddling suddenly felt a little heavier. Almost like, something was pulling it back a little bit as I peddled. I noticed that when I’m NOT peddling and moving, the bike feels perfectly fine.

Thanks everyone
Scott
Last bike I bought from Halfords had a rear wheel that must have been built on the deck of a small boat during a force 10. Never again.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I don't think Halfords have the facilities to rebuild a wheel, correct me if im wrong. So the simple solution is to simply replace it. I would question though how that happened. Did you hit a pothole or ride off or up a curb at any point recently?

Ajax Bay

Guru
something was pulling it back a little bit as I peddled. I noticed that when I’m NOT peddling and moving, the bike feels perfectly fine.
Best guess:
Spoke(s) are broken; wheel is buckled; rubbing against brake pads a bit when a bit of power going through the wheel.
Replacing the wheel might be cheaper than replacing several spokes (why did they break/bend?) and trueing the wheel.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Poorly built wheel out of the factory probably, most wheels are made on a machine and maybe wasn't checked properly. I expect it's nothing the OP has done.
Halfords don't have the expertise to rebuild it and anyway will have a returns policy in place with the manufacturer whereby if Halfords have a faulty part they just chuck it back to them for replacement.

OP
OP
Scottmartin99

Scottmartin99

Regular
I don't think Halfords have the facilities to rebuild a wheel, correct me if im wrong. So the simple solution is to simply replace it. I would question though how that happened. Did you hit a pothole or ride off or up a curb at any point recently?

No accidents or falls etc. since I purchased it 6 weeks ago. I asked the guy if I had done anything to cause it. After I answered his questions, he seemed to think it was probably just a poorly made wheel from the factory.

OP
OP
Scottmartin99

Scottmartin99

Regular
Best guess:
Spoke(s) are broken; wheel is buckled; rubbing against brake pads a bit when a bit of power going through the wheel.
Replacing the wheel might be cheaper than replacing several spokes (why did they break/bend?) and trueing the wheel.

No accidents or falls etc. since I purchased it 6 weeks ago. I asked the guy if I had done anything to cause it. After I answered his questions, he seemed to think it was probably just a poorly made wheel from the factory.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Are they doing this for free?

OP
OP
Scottmartin99

Scottmartin99

Regular
It's a simple warranty issue, it'll be replaced at no charge. It does just sound like a faulty wheel. What brand is it, out of interest?

Halfords may not have the most skilled mechanics (though they're okay), as a retailer they're perfectly fine and fair in my experience.

It's a simple warranty issue, it'll be replaced at no charge. It does just sound like a faulty wheel. What brand is it, out of interest?

Halfords may not have the most skilled mechanics (though they're okay), as a retailer they're perfectly fine and fair in my experience.

It’s a Carrera Crosscity Folding Electric Bike.

Apart from 1 person, everyone else at Halfords has been fine so far. This problem aside, I love the bike so hoping it gets resolved

Top Bottom