Why are we pretending to be French?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A chap I know organised a ride recently which he called the Ronde van East Kent. Apart from sounding vaguely preposterous, calling a bike ride Ronde van [Whatever] conjures up certain associations, but as it turned out, there were no cobbled sections, hardly any climbs (let alone 25% knee-busters), and the day of the ride was gloriously sunny... What a let down!

Was there beer and chips? If so, it was close enough

Tin Pot

Guru
I don't pretend to be French, I AM French.

Maia non, je suis France ~ Napoleon

scotjimland

WHY IS IT CALLED TOUR DE YORKSHIRE AND NOT TOUR OF YORKSHIRE
The Tour de Yorkshire race is owned by the ASO, the Amaury Sports Organisation, a French company based in Paris. It therefore has a French name and some of the key climbs have been given a French name as a nod to the French origins of the race.

FAQs

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Was there beer and chips? If so, it was close enough

Fair point. There were quite a few pubs on the route so plenty of opportunity to imbibe. And it finished at a pub, where food was laid on - don't know if chips were involved though.

My earlier comment probably comes across as a bit harsh - I know a lot of sportive organisers are guilty of overselling their rides with hyperbole but in this case I think the choice of name was meant to be entirely tongue in cheek. It looked like a good day out and I'm sorry I missed it (I was ill on the day).

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 5232954, member: 259"]For some reason my ex boss always used to be annoyed when people thought he was French, so he deliberately used to pepper his speech with belgicismes to make his mark. "Allez, depuis tous ces changements je sais plus le faire"| :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Was your ex-boss Jacques Brel?

scotjimland

53 French Words You Regularly Use in English
https://frenchtogether.com/french-words-in-english/

pawl

Legendary Member
There may be a good reason, and if there is I’m ready to be educated.

Why Tour de Yorkshire and not Tour of Yorkshire?
Why Tete de la course and not Front of the race?
Cote de Lofthouse sounds ridiculous to me.
Etc. Etc.

The Spanish retain their own language, as do the Dutch for example.

The race is in England FFS!!!! :evil:

Aye up lad all these Frenchy words will be banned when we leve the E u

Some of it is a nod to the French events, some of it is because it’s organised and run by the TdF people. Some of it is irritating B.S. where you can just imagine a lot of people who say “yeah” a lot, and refer to Hills as ‘cols’ and refer to “exploring your pain cave” and then probably say “yeah” again, getting all tumescent over it.

Top Bottom